IV. A Transfer

He transferred schools under his preferred name. An all-girls school no longer suited him.

His family immediately rushed to get him anything he needed. A haircut, a new wardrobe, binders, setting an appointment for him to get surgery... Anything. Including medicine for his borderline personality disorder, which they determined he did have.

His first day was a weekend, and all of his roommates were gone. He unpacked and got settled in in peace, not excited to meet them. They'd want to talk to him.

Sunday afternoon he was curled up in an armchair in the corner of the dorm, reading.

He hoped he'd look too absorbed in his book and nobody would bother him.

Just after noon, the door opened for the first time. A tall boy with light brown hair walked in, sitting on one of the beds. He didn't even notice him, which was good. He seemed preoccupied.

A bit later, two more boys walked in, talking animatedly. One was blonde, the other dark-haired.

The blonde immediately caught sight of him. "Hi! You must be the transfer, right? Thad?"

He looked up, looking a bit annoyed and nodding before turning back to his book.

"I'm Jeff. This is Nick."

He gave a short wave, not looking at them.

"I-"

"Jeff, leave him alone," the boy who had entered the room first said.

Jeff looked confused. "I'm just introducing myself...?"

The taller boy rolled his eyes. "He's reading. You never talk to someone when they're reading, it's, like, the unspoken law."

They didn't bother him after that, and he was thankful for the other boy who hadn't been introduced.

The rest of his roommates came back by the time the dinner bell rang, the tall boy making sure they didn't bother him. He appreciated it.

"You coming?" the tall boy asked.

He looked up, mildly irritated. Wasn't he just telling them not to bother him?

"Hey, I appreciate getting absorbed in a book, but I draw a line when you miss meals."

He sighed, bookmarking his page and leaving the room with them.