XCVIII. It's A... Normal Family?

Wes sat down to dinner with Marcus and Chloe, nervous. He knew how his family ate meals, he knew how people ate meals at Dalton, but did normal families eat differently?

They didn't say grace like Wes's family always did, which he didn't mind. They just began to eat, occasionally asking each other to pass things.

"So, Wes, what's your school like?" Marcus asked.

It wasn't a very formal question, but he couldn't help thinking through his answer thoroughly. "It's a very good school. The staff and students are all very nice."

"God, the teachers at my school suck," Chloe said, looking envious.

Wes's eyes widened at her clear disrespect for authority figures, taking a bite of his food to hide it.

"Chloe, don't say that about your teachers."

"It's true."

"But you shouldn't say it."

Wes's phone vibrated and he was reminded of his date with David. "Um, is it okay if I go out with a friend tomorrow?"

"Sure. Just be back before ten," Marcus said.

He nodded, mildly surprised it was that easy. His parents hated it when he went out. "Thank you."

"Oh, that reminds me, can Jenna come over?" Chloe asked. "Did you decide?"

"As long as you do your chores first, yes," Marcus answered.

"Yay! Thank you!" she said excitedly.