XXXV. I'm Dreaming Of A Bland Christmas

Wes's Christmas was bland as ever, a dinner party with a few of the people his parents worked with, in an attempt to impress them.

He took on the role of the perfect model child, not saying a word and pretending to be interested in what they were talking about.

That is, until the conversation turned to him.

"So, Wesley, so you have a girlfriend?"

"No, sir, I don't. I do have a boyfriend, though."

He merely answered the question, concealing his wince when his mother kicked him under the table.

The man didn't even seem remotely fazed, asking him what his parents did for a living and if he went to his school.

His parents' anger was practically palpable, but he seemed to be the only one who noticed.

The moment everyone left, his mother immediately rounded on him. "You little brat! You embarrassed us!"

"To be fair, he didn't mind and now is under the impression that you two are accepting peop-"

He was cut off by her punching him. Not in the usual spots, where no one could see, but directly on the face.

He cried out in pain, falling to his knees and holding the spot she had hit with his hand.

"You got blood on my ring," she said irritatedly, kicking him in the shoulder as she walked past.

He suddenly realized what the stinging pain on his cheekbone was. Slowly taking his hand off of his face, he looked at it.

It was covered in blood.

He immediately pressed it back to the injury, trying not to lose too much blood.

He ran downstairs to his room, going straight to his bathroom that was permanently stained with the metallic smell of blood.

He took his hand off of his cheek, washing it. He grabbed the washcloth off of the bar it was drying on, getting it wet with soap and water. He gently cleaned the blood off his face, seeing where the cut was.

It started a few centimeters above his cheekbone and ended a few centimeters below it. It was about two inches long, the same width of his scar from her ring.

He pressed the washcloth to it again, clumsily cutting a bandage to size and putting it on his cheek.

He rinsed the washcloth out and washed it in the sink, letting it dry on the rack again.

Not even bothering to try to clean up the blood on the floor or his clothes, he collapsed onto his bed and fell asleep.