XCIV. Best. Teacher. Ever.

"What can I do for you boys?"

Nick took a breath. "I know you saw the little scene with my brother and I. I'd rather talk to you before my parents get involved with anything."

"Moral support," Jeff explained.

She nodded, gesturing for them to take a seat. "I expected they'd tell you. Would you like to tell me what's going on?"

"No," he admitted. "But I'm going to. Just... going to say it." He sighed, turning to Jeff. "This was a bad idea, we should–"

"Nick," Jeff said, taking his hand. He turned back to their teacher. "Miss, Nick's brother isn't the only problem. There's more he's going to say."

Having been prompted, Nick continued. "Yeah... Not just him. Um, he and his friends pretty much bullied me my whole life. That's not much, though. Um, my whole family is homophobic. They don't want me to come home for weekends or breaks unless I absolutely have to."

"And..." Jeff said softly.

Nick swallowed, looking down. "And the reason I'm telling you before you call them about my brother is because I'm worried about what they'd do to me if they found out that anyone thought our family was anything less than perfect. They've... Um, they don't have the best tempers when they're drunk. They'll hit me when they drink. But my dad's kinda developed a drinking problem, which I think is part of the reason they keep me away from them. Not because they don't want me to be hurt, but because they don't want anyone to know. I could die tomorrow and they wouldn't care. But... I don't know, I'm afraid."

"Nick, thank you for coming to me. It was a very brave thing to do. And I promise, they won't lay a finger on you ever again."

It was what any teacher would say, but the venom, the passion in her voice is what set it apart. She cared about him, she cared about all of them, and she was furious that anyone would hurt them.

"Thank you," Nick said softly. "I just... I don't want to see them again."

"The only time you'll have to see them is in court."