LXIV. Someone Help The Poor Boy Out

Matt was the first one home, nervously pacing the hallway. He was terrified. What would they say?

"Hey, sorry that took a while. Traffic's bad."

Matt looked over, seeing Nathan. "Hi," he said, voice somewhat strangled.

Nathan's smiled faded to worry. "What's wrong?"

"I'm just," Matt gestured with his hands, "just really, really nervous."

"Yeah, you scared me with the whole emergency thing."

"I'm scared with this whole emergency thing," Matt admitted. His eyes were prickling.

The door opened again and Jason came in. "Alright, what's the emergency?" he asked urgently.

Matt took a breath, trying to stop his eyes from watering. It only made them water more. "So, I was, well, we got back to school and I don't know, I started having these dizzy spells. And I thought it was low blood sugar or something, you know," Matt sniffed, futility wiping his eyes. "But then it got worse, and I kept feeling nauseous, and–" he broke down crying, unable to speak.

Jason moved forward to hug him, but Matt stepped back, wrapping his arms around himself.

The world stopped for a minute, everything freezing. Ever since the dawn of time, it had been their thing. All three of them hugging each other in bad times or good times. Hugs were almost some sacred pact, something deeper than 'I love you.'

Never, in all the years of his life, had Matt refused a hug from them. He had never backed away, never dodged it, always just hugged back.

Jason and Nathan had never been more worried in their lives.

"What happened? Did someone hurt you? Were you raped? Oh god, you were raped, weren't yo–"

"I'm pregnant."

His words cut across theirs, but not smoothly. More like cutting sushi with a butter knife.

Tears still falling, he looked down at the floor. He wasn't quite sure what he felt. Embarrassed? Afraid? Nervous?

He felt himself being pulled into a gentle hug. "Matt, it's okay. It's going to be okay, alright?"

He nodded softly, hugging back. He felt Nathan hugging him as well.

"I didn't know it was possible," he whispered. "Never in my life had I worried about that."

"Right now I'm just concerned that you were having unprotected sex," Jason said.

Matt let out a watery chuckle. "We're both clean, we made sure."

"That's the Jason in you. But, does Sebastian know?"

"No," he admitted quietly. "I need to tell him. Just... he was terrified about the idea of having a younger sister, he said he didn't want to turn into his father. I don't know how he'd take this."