XXIII. Do NOT Talk To The Sunshine Child Like That

All week, the others noticed Thad pulling away from them. He was less talkative and more likely to be found reading, snapping at them when they interrupted him.

Saturday morning, they woke up to find him curled up in the armchair of the room reading, exactly like when they had first met him. Except this time he looked really upset.

"Thad, are you okay?" Jeff asked worriedly.

"Fuck off," Thad mumbled.

Jeff walked over to him, setting a hand on his shoulder. "Thad, you know you can ta-"

Thad cut him off, pushing off his hand and standing. "When I tell you to fuck off, it's not an invitation to touch me!" he said angrily.

"Thad, we're worried about you. You can talk to us, you know," Jeff said softly, looking a bit hurt.

"Maybe I don't want to talk to you. Think about that? Maybe I don't like your prying questions and constant invasion of personal space."

"Thad, leave him alone!" Nick interrupted.

"Oh, so he's allowed to be annoying as he wants, but we can't do anything about it?" Seeing their expressions, Thad scoffed, swinging his bag over his shoulder. "Right."

Before they said anything, he left the room.

Nick immediately rushed over to Jeff, holding him. Jeff was absolutely speechless, looking hurt and guilty.

"Jeff, ignore him. You're awesome, not annoying," Sebastian said honestly. "I mean, I don't know where I'd be without your drive to help people."

"Less annoyed," Jeff mumbled. He sighed, pulling away from Nick. "I'm just so worried about him. It's like he's unstable."

"But he was fine before. What changed?"

"I don't know."