L. The News

After what seemed like years, the doctor came back out into the waiting room.

"He's alive, and mostly awake," she informed them.

The entire room seemed to let out a sigh.

"May I speak to Kurt's direct family alone?"

Burt, Carole, and Finn stood and walked over to her.

"Why just us?" Finn asked.

"Due to patient privacy concerns, I can only tell more than him being alive and awake to family," she explained. "His heart rate is still a bit slow but returning to normal speed, and his breathing is still uneven. He had to get immediate surgery on his injuries."

"Where were the injuries? Wrist, elbow...?" Burt asked worriedly.

"His neck."

"I'm sorry, his what now?" Finn said in disbelief.

"On either side of his neck, where the arteries run through. He also hit several blood vessels. He'll have scars, and we believe it may have caused him temporary blindness."

"May?"

"We don't know if it's permanent or not. He severely obstructed the blood flow to his eyes, and his vision may or may not return when he heals."

"Okay, what's a worst case scenario, best case scenario, and most likely case scenario?" Burt asked, needing to know exactly what could happen.

"Worst case, he's blind for the rest of his life. Best case, his vision returns when he heals. Most likely, though, he'll need glasses when it heals," she explained.

Burt nodded slowly. "Okay. Other than that, he's fine? No concussion, amnesia, whatever else could happen?"

"Other than that, he's fine. There are a few guidelines he needs to follow, like no rigorous activities and eating well- which we can tell he already does- but there are no further concerns."

"Can we see him?" Finn asked immediately.

She gave him an apologetic smile. "He's not allowed visitors yet."

Finn looked disappointed, but nodded. He knew Kurt needed time to recover.