LI. An Explanation

Kurt was doing everything the doctors asked, anxiously waiting to be able to have visitors. He needed to see Blaine, he needed to explain.

"Can people visit me yet?" he asked when he heard someone come into his room.

"I was just about to tell you that you could. There's a limit of three people, though, so you don't overextend yourself and it's easy to get them out in case something happens. They all want to see you, so whom would you like to see first?"

"Dad, Blaine, and Finn," Kurt said instinctively. Then he thought for a moment, remembering Carole.

She'd understand. Burt was the head of his family, Finn was the head of his Mckinley family, and Blaine was the head of his Dalton family.

He heard them leave and waited, fiddling with a thread on the sheets.

Soon he heard the door open again. "Hi," he said softly, not knowing what to say.

"You said you'd tell me if that happened again," Burt spoke up.

The atmosphere of the room was hushed, as if someone had died.

"I don't know why I didn't. I should have. Blaine, you know I didn't want to leave you, right? It's just- my mind wasn't really working properly and it's all I could think to do to wake up."

"Yeah, I know. But promise me you'll get help, okay? I don't want this to happen again. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Kurt nodded. "Promise. But how did I get here?"

Kurt could almost hear Blaine wrinkle his nose. "Hunter. He said he left the dorm for a minute and left his key in there since you were there, but then you didn't answer when he came back. So he came to us. He was the one who figured out that you always wake up right before you die in a dream. So I ran back to the dorm with him and unlocked it. He wouldn't let me see you, though. He held me back and said something about the sight haunting my nightmare and seeing it whenever I closed my eyes."

"I thought I locked the bathroom."

"Oh, you did. He kicked the door in."

Kurt's jaw dropped. "He what? How did he do that?"

"I don't know, I asked him what he was doing and he said something like 'my dad didn't get kicked out of the army and arrested for raising me on military grounds for nothing,' and kicked it in."

Kurt nodded slowly. "That would explain why he's such an asshole. He's probably mentally messed up from that."

"Or he's just an asshole."

"It's not an excuse, it's an explanation," Kurt said.

"What's so bad about this Hunter guy?" Burt asked.

"He's a-"

"He's just a bad person in general and really rude. He's also Sebastian's ex-boyfriend, he kind of went off on him when they broke up. Yelled some not-so-nice things." Kurt wished he could send Blaine a look, telling him not to say any more.

"Wait, Blaine, what were you going to say?"

"I was just going to say that he's a know it all. Kurt pretty much said everything," Blaine answered smoothly.

Kurt was so relieved that Blaine picked up on it.

He heard the door open again. "I'm sorry, but Mr. Hummel needs his rest."

When they left, Kurt fell into a peaceful sleep. Blaine knew he didn't want to die.

He didn't think he could ever leave Blaine.