Chapter 45:

Anxiety attacks

*

I felt the wind slap against my legs as people entered and left the store. I stood there staring at the food options. I could go with ramen but I could also get a sandwich. Then there is sausage and egg and bread. My heart starting racing faster and my breathing quickened. It felt as if my lungs were closing and I couldn't breathe. Which should I pick?

"Miss? Are you ok?" I turned to the boy standing beside me worried. He was putting away some drinks in the fridge by me. 

"Oh yeah, Sorry, thanks." I ended up grabbing everything and put it in my little basket. "Can I pay?" he nodded his head as we made our way to the counter. I paid and left the store after thanking him. I leaned against the wall looking into the dark colored with lights. 

'Did I just have an anxiety attack over which food to buy?' I felt so stupid. I hit my head multiple times with my fist, mumbling 'stupid' over and over again. 

"Um excuse me?" I stood straight looking forward. A smile reached my eyes. It was that kid. The kid that I saw on the bus in one of the previous days. The one I made awkward eye contact with. 

"o-oh yes?" I asked. Car horns could be heard angrily yelling at each other. 

"Do you know how to get to the front of the hospital?"

"oh yeah. I'm actually headed that way. You can just follow me." 

"Thank you." he bowed before following me. 

In the Hospital: 

Marcus stood outside the door watching the doctors go by hearing the hospital trays rattle as a nurse placed one on top of another. Saw patients in white gowns pass by him. It set him into a trance that could only be awakened by Youngjin's cry for his older sister.

"Wait!" He sat up listening for noise in the room. 

"Noona! Come back! Don't hurt her!" he sniffled and hiccuped in between his words. Marcus quickly stood up walking into the room. 

"Youngjin?" he asked carefully as he entered the room. "What's wrong?" he carefully sat beside Youngjin on the bed. 

"Where's my noona?!" he cried out. 

"No, no, don't cry. She is just going to get some food. Did you have a nightmare?" Youngjin nodded. He quickly grabbed a hold of Marcus's shirt and pulled him closer with every single bit of power he had. Marcus got startled when he felt the small boy hug his torso as much as his tiny arms could. His arm that was resting on his leg landed on Youngjin's back in a soft manner caressing his back. "It's okay, we are here." 

"You have to protect her." he hiccuped out. 

"I will." 

"How do I know you will?" he asked as he still refused to let go of the man's torso. 

"Because I don't want to see her get hurt and I love her." 

"Like a friend...?" Youngjin asked curiously. 

"Well, a little more than a friend." the two boys jumped when they heard a noise at the door. Marcus reached for the gun in his pocket while Youngjin held on to his teddy bear. They were both expecting a drunk abusive man to appear but instead, I did. 

Back outside:

"So who are you visiting if I may ask?" he broke the taunting silence. 

"My little brother broke his leg." he nodded in understanding. "you?"

"My grandmother is sick." 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I hope she feels better." 

"Yeah same to your little brother." 

"Thanks." we got to the front door and the bright lights lit up the dark sidewalk. We walked inside. I pointed to the right. "I go this way." He pointed to the left. 

"Oh ha. I go the other way." I nodded. "Well, see you around and thanks for showing me to this place." I walked away thinking. How would he know where to go without speaking to the receptionist? Has he been here before? But he said that he didn't know how to get to the front door. I ignored the thought and rode the elevator. I quickly walked to the room when I saw Marcus wasn't infront anymore but stopped when I heard speaking inside. 

"You have to protect her." Youngjin hiccuped out. Her? Was he talking about me? 

"I will," responded Marcus

"How do I know you will?" he asked. I peaked my head in a little bit and saw Marcus sitting on the bed with Youngjin hugging him. 

"Because I don't want to see her get hurt" I smiled a bit.  "and I love her." my breath hitched at that word. Love? Stop it Seolhyun. He obviously means as a friend, but we weren't even that close yet. 

"Like a friend...?" Youngjin asked curiously. Youngjin always said what I was thinking. 

"Well, a little more than a friend." My eyes rounded and my hands went numb. I dropped the bag of food on the floor making the two boys jump. I silently cursed myself out as I revealed myself from behind the door. 

"hi..." Marcus sighed taking his hand from behind his back. 

"You scared us!" he said relieved that is wasn't who they were expecting. 

"Noona!" Youngjin yelled excitedly. I walked over to him smiling. 

"Did you miss me?" Youngjin nodded making me laugh a little bit. 

"Wait." Marcus stopped and turned around with wide eyes. "How long were you standing outside?" oh no. 

"What do you mean? I just came now. I tripped on something and dropped the things." I tilted my head at him. "Why? Were you guys talking about me?"

"No!" Marcus said as he shook his head. 

"Yes!" Youngjin also said, at the exact same time, as he nodded his head. I laughed and kissed Youngjin's cheek.

"Good to know I'm the talk of the room." 

*

It's been a while since I've last met you.