Unpredictable ✔️

Alexandra

I sat in the passenger seat of Josh's car while fiddling with my bracelets and looking out the window of the passenger seat. Dakota and Nate were talking and as Josh keeps his eyes focused on the road, he asks a question. "You excited?" His friendly slang peeps through his voice and I smile at how he had not changed one bit.

"Duh. Are you?" Josh opens his mouth to answer but Nate interrupts his friend. "He wouldn't stop talking about it."

"But in a good way." Dakota adds hurriedly before I could make any assumptions.

"Really? Awe, Joshy!" I tease him and ruffle his midnight black hair when we stop at a red light. He slaps my hand away and defends himself by saying that he was just excited to see me again. Nate jumps into the conversation once more and mentions that the whole group was excited, but Josh squealed like a little girl. I chuckle at the two as they continue to banter with one another.

I turn to the back of the car and smile at the girl next to her lover. "How are you Dakota? I haven't seen you in forever!" I ask Nate's girlfriend. They have been together since high school and are the cutest couple.

"I'm doing great! How about you?"

"I'm good!" I smiled back at her and I was about to talk to her some more when Josh interrupts.

"Is that what I know it is?" He asks with a faltering voice and points to my wrist with stacked bracelets. I breathe out that it is while looking down at where the piece of jewelry lays. When I glance back up, he looks at me with something I can't describe and I have to focus on the traffic light instead because of how intimidating his intense eyes were.

"Um-"

"Greenlight." I become a member of the interrupting fest that is known as our car ride currently. Josh turns his eyes back on the road and steps on the gas pedal. I don't feel like talking about this. I don't even know what to say to him. He probably doesn't know either.

I was wearing a bracelet that Josh gifted me for our sixth month anniversary. It was a simple bracelet with a pendant. On the pendant was a specific date and a quote engraved on it. The date was when we became official and the quote included three words:

I LIKE YOU

Those three words are the words I told him when I confessed my feelings for him. Yeah, I was the one who confessed. Not him. I was also the first one to text him, but who knew those three words would start something? I certainly did when I texted him, but I also had my doubts. Of course, our relationship did not happen right away, but after a few intense stares across the hallways, he finally asked me out.

"Can I ask why are you wearing it?"

"Because it's special." I don't look at him and I could tell he wants to look at me but he has to drive.

"But it's from a long time ago when it was happening."

"You can say it, Josh. Our relationship." Annoyance filled to the brim inside of me and I know that the couple in the backseat were tense with the scene unfolding in front of them. I think that's what held me back to not say anymore than what I did. "It's something special to me. It might not hold the same meaning but it's still something." My tone grew strong with optimism and even though I notice the matching keychain to my bracelet on his set of keys, I decide not to mention it. There is already enough tension that you can cut it with a knife.

I scoff whilst shaking my head. "So I never got to ask, where are we going?"

"Starbucks." Dakota finally peeps a word. I know the little arguemnt between Josh and I was awkward for them and I feel so terrible that they had to witness it.