Chapter 52: Break-In

Winter's POV

Maybe it's just Max, it has to be. Demi's upstairs sleeping, who else could it be? I took a deep breath and continued to the kitchen until I could see the persons outline in the pitch black room. That's not Max, that can't be. They're too short. My hands started shaking, I have to stay calm though, I can't make too much noise. I backed away behind a bookshelf so they wouldn't see me and thought about all my options. I could just quietly go back upstairs..but they might hear me on the creaky stairs. I could attack. On second thought that's a bad idea, they could be armed. I could stay here until they leave, but who knows how long they're going to be here. What if they try to go upstairs? Maybe I could shout for Max, the only problem is it might not wake up Max right away and my voice would give away where I am. Oh! I could text Max and Demi until they wake up!

I began to search for my phone until I realized I left it upstairs. Shit, I'm screwed. I peeked around the bookshelf and watched the black figure walk around. Are they looking for something? All of a sudden, they turned around and started walking towards me. Fuck did they see me? I stood up straight against the bookshelf and waited. I could feel my heart racing and my eyes filled with tears. This would be a really bad time for a full on panic attack. I tried to steady my breathing and focus on what that person was doing. They walked right passed me. I was mostly focused on if they saw me or not so I didn't try to see who it was. It was still pretty dark too. They stopped and stood at the bottom of the stairs. Oh no, should I go stop them. They can't go up there, what if they try to hurt Demi? I watched carefully as I thought of what I should do. They lifted and placed their foot on he first step. As soon as they heard it make a loud creak, they stepped off. They ran back to the kitchen and climbed out the window above the sink. I waited a minute to make sure they were far enough away before running upstairs.

"Demi! Demi, wake up!" I shouted as I shook Demi awake. She groaned.

"What time is it?" She mumbled.

"I don't know but someone was in the house!" Demi fully opened her eyes and sat up.

"What? Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" Demi continued firing questions at me, one after the other.

"No..they didn't see me." Demi grabbed my hand and pulled me off the bed with her. 

"Come on, let's go wake Max up and let him know." Demi and I went downstairs and ran to Max's room. "Max, Max wake up." Demi said while gently shaking Max awake. 

"W...what's going on?" Max mumbled as he sat up a little with his eyes still closed. 

"Someone broke in!" Demi basically yelled. Max's eyes shot open.

"What?!" Max stood up and ran out to the kitchen. Demi and I followed. "Where are they?!" Max yelled.

"They're already gone." I said quietly. Max bent down and picked something up. It was a knife. Demi gasped. 

"Winter they could have killed you with that!" Demi said as she squeezed my hand tighter.

"You saw them?" Max asked me. 

"Yeah."

"Did they see you?"

"No."

"Do you know how they got in?" I pointed to the open window I saw them climb out of. Max went over and shut and locked it. "I'll go around the house and make sure everything's locked. Are you guys going to be able to go back to sleep?" Demi and I nodded before going back upstairs into our room. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I haven't updated for a while. School started and I've already gotten a lot of homework. I'll try and update more reguarly as I figure out my schedule.

I hope you liked this chapter. Please vote and leave a comment telling me what you liked, what you would like to see happen, and any predictions you have. Thanks for reading!