|53| Fawning Over Fawley

As the weeks of October dragged on, the animosity toward Adelaide's newly appointed position as Chaser only increased amongst the Gryffindors who were not actually apart of the team. She was accused multiple times of 'whining her way to the team' and of being a 'spoiled brat, who probably had her Pureblood Royalty parents demand the switch'. Of course, those accusers were swiftly, mysteriously, and brutally pranked after the allegations made it to the ears of the Marauder boys. Mary had even received detention for calling out a sassy Ravenclaw during Muggle Studies.

Adelaide's relationship with Evan and Regulus also became more strained over these few weeks. She would still sit with them over the weekends, but it was becoming more and more apparent that she was not welcome at the Slytherin table. Avery, Wilkes, and Muciber relentlessly taunted her, but conveniently, only when the other two Slytherin's weren't around... If Regulus had known the extent of their merciless teasing, there was a good chance they would be on the receiving end of a fwooper song.

Classes also became more and more of a struggle for Adelaide. Yes, she was exceptionally bright, and unnaturally gifted in magic, but writing essays, taking tests, and doing homework worksheets were just not her thing. She would put off her assignments until the very last minute, then speed through them just to say they were done... earning her low marks, and many a disapproving look from Lily Evans.

Quidditch practice however, was going quite well. Blake generally avoided speaking to her if he didn't have to, and the rest of the team could see that she was humble and the right person for the position. Jack Middleton, the other chaser, had made sure that everyone on the team knew how she had thanked Blake before the switch, and always stuck up for her when he heard people speaking ill of her on and off the pitch.

"Hey that was a nice Reverse Pass you did back there!" Jack said with a smile, walking to catch up with Adelaide, as she headed back to the castle after practice one day in mid October.

Adelaide turned to face the fourth year boy. He was taller than her (which wasn't much a feat), but shorter than James, had dark blonde hair, brown eyes the color of chocolate, and a somewhat crooked nose that looked like it had been broken a few times.

"Oh! Thanks! James and I were working on them last week outside of practice." she said with a chuckle.

Jack smiled back for a moment, as if he forgot what he was going to say, but quickly recovered. "Um, so do you have a favorite Quidditch Team?"

"Hollyhead Harpies." she said instantly with a smirk. "My best friend Mary and I are obsessed." she giggled.

"Mary McDonald? The one that's going to commentate the game with that Black fellow you're friends with?"

"Yep! That's the one!"

"Well you both have excellent taste in quidditch teams." he chuckled. "I'm a big Pride of Portree fan myself though." he shrugged.

"Oh, they're pretty good too! Catriona McCormack is amazing from what I've read!" she gushed.

Jack's face lit up. "She is! I went to a game over the summer with my uncle and got to see her play— "

"YOU DID NOT!"

Jack laughed at her enthusiasm. "I did! She was bloody brilliant!"

"I'm so insanely jealous right now, it's not even funny." she said solemnly.

"Well my uncle has season tickets, maybe you can come with me some time?" he said casually.

"REALLY?!" she asked in shock and excitement.

Jack laughed once again. "Really!" he said, imitating her tone of voice.

"You're alright, you know that Jack?" Adelaide said, giving him a pat on the back as they reached the school, not noticing how his face flushed a bit.