|13| A Black Christmas {Part 1}

It was Christmas Eve, and for once both Sirius and Adelaide were utterly jubilant.

The Fawleys would be spending Christmas Eve and Christmas day with the Blacks at their home at 12 Grimmauld Place. Adelaide wondered why her parents decided to spend the holiday with the other family instead of on their own as they usually did. Her wonderings were answered on the morning of December 24th.

Adelaide was sneaking back up from the kitchen that afternoon where she enjoyed some contraband pie with Mimsy the house elf when she heard the voices of her parents coming from her fathers study. She creeped just close enough to hear without being spotted and made sure that she had an empty bedroom nearby that she could duck into if need be.

"Cathy, I understand your reservations, but there's still time for them to make him understand. He's been hanging about with all those mud-bloods and blood traitors for so long he's simply forgotten the truth," Filip Fawley explained to his wife.

"Filip, you and I both know that it goes deeper than that," Cathryn said cooly.

"Well regardless, we must try. Mr. Riddle believes both boys will become useful assets in the years to come, especially if they take after their father," Filip stated.

Mr. Riddle? The man Sirius said gave him the creeps? What did his opinion have to do with anything? And what did he mean by assets?

Adelaide found this all very strange.

After the conversation moved to more mundane topics, Adelaide made her way back to her emerald and silver bedroom. She double and triple checked to be sure she was all packed and had sufficiently hidden her gift to Sirius in her overnight bag.

At 6pm the family took the floo to 12 Grimmauld Place and were greeted by their gracious hosts.

"Lovely to see you again, Cathy!" Walburga said to the lean woman, smiling too wide.

"Ah, and same to you!" Cathryn replied with an equally too wide smile.

"Addy!" exclaimed Regulus, grinning as he made his way to her from the staircase.

"Hey Adelaide!" Sirius said with a wave and smile as well. He knew they were supposed to act like they weren't best friends, but he could still act like he knew her, right?

"Hello," Adelaide said politely to the two boys with small wave. "Thank you for having us here Mr. and Mrs. Black. It was very gracious of you to let us spend the holiday with you," Adelaide said kindly to the two adults.

"The pleasure is ours, dear," Walburga said with a tone that was almost warm. Sirius made a face and rolled his eyes when no one was looking. Adelaide had to bite her lip not to start laughing. "Now, everyone into the dining room for dinner!"

Adelaide waited for the adults to go ahead so that she could catch up with Regulus and Sirius. She gave Regulus a quick hug and then moved to give Sirius a large embrace, foolishly not checking to see if any of the adults were looking.

"Adelaide!" her father scolded mid-hug. They instantly jumped apart and Adelaide flushed a bit, panicked. "Time for dinner," her father said with a strange look.

*

Dinner was wonderful, well the food was wonderful, the conversation was enough to make Adelaide hurl.

"It's as if they have no pride for their heritage! Do they not see how breeding with those filthy muggles and mud-bloods will lead to the demise to our way of life?!" Orion slurred passionately slamming his glass of fire whiskey on the wooden table making Adelaide jump slightly.