|112| Monster

Despite the overwhelming exhaustion that weighed Sirius down, a strange energy coursed through his veins that Friday evening. Between the cauldron scrubbing, werewolf healing, and mystery solving, it had easily been one of the most exhaustingly exhilarating days of his entire life. Doug got away. Doug saved Olalla. Doug saved his arse with Smethwick and gave him a free book to boot.

Sirius simply had to tell Adelaide. Everything. Right at that moment. Or else he'd probably die.

Okay, maybe he wouldn't die, per say, but he most certainly did not possess the patience to wait around any great length of time.

He ducked out of the fireplace in the candle lit parlor of his family's home, then nearly ran, bounding to the stairs.

"Don't run in the house!" his father hollered from his usual armchair. "We're leaving for dinner in an hour— and don't you dare slam that d—"

Bursting into his room, slamming the door pointedly behind him, Sirius immediately, kicked off his shined black shoes, dropped the mirror and Doug's book on his desk, and ripped open the wardrobe. It wasn't until he threw off his horrible smelly green robes and flung them haphazardly behind him that he noticed Regulus lounged across the bed, casual as could be, quill in hand as he squinted at a copy of the daily prophet.

"What the hell are you doing in here?!" Sirius yelped.

"Working on a crossword," Regulus answered without looking up, tapping the quill against his chin. "What's an eleven-letter word for an artifact that detects—?"

"I meant why are you in my room when there's a perfectly good prison cell across the hall?" Sirius threw a slipper at his face. "And stop working on my crossword puzzles!"

"Hey! That hurt!" Regulus scowled and threw the slipper back, missing Sirius's face entirely.

"That was the point."

Regulus huffed. "I needed to talk to you, but I knew if I waited until you got back you'd slam the door in my face."

"Damn right I would," Sirius snapped, shoving on some sweatpants. "Get out."

Regulus put the crossword aside and sat up, but the annoying little shit had a stubborn look in his pale eyes that told Sirius he wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. "You don't even know what I need to talk to you about."

"Don't care. Get out."  

"No. I want to talk to Addy... on the mirror."

"Not happening."

"But—"

"You've got a girlfriend of your own, go talk to her—"

"I can't write Marlene, she's in hiding— and she's not my girlfriend!" Regulus said through gritted teeth, face turning pink. Sirius took some sick satisfaction in the fact that he'd managed to ruffle his little brother's feathers.

"Not my problem," Sirius sniffed through his shirts for a clean one. "Now run along before I decide to hex you."

Regulus wadded up the Daily Prophet then threw it at Sirius. It missed his head once again and landed on the desk with an anticlimactic skitter.

"Damn, you should be a chaser with those skills," Sirius taunted.

"Addy's my friend, too."

"Then write her a letter."

"You don't think I've tried that already? She doesn't answer!"

"Then maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you."