|15| Fine

"Filip, she needs to know right from wrong somehow!" said Mrs. Fawley.

"I agree Cathy, but using an unforgivable? You mark my words, it will only drive her away," Mr. Fawley said sternly.

"My mother used it on me, her mother before that. Children need to know that there are consequences to their actions!" Mrs. Fawley responded emphatically.

"She can know there are consequences without having to be tortured, Cathryn," Mr. Fawley said before sighing deeply. "But I can see that your mind will not be changed," he said in resignation.

*  *  *

"Addy! Finally! I've been trying to get ahold of you for ages! Are you okay?!" Sirius exclaimed, his worried face taking up the entirety of the enchanted mirror. It had been days since Adelaide and her family left his home that Christmas morning...

Adelaide knew he'd be worried after her parents rushed out of 12 Grimmauld Place, furious... She knew Sirius wanted to know the rest of the story... But as much as she missed Sirius, she didn't feel like reliving it.

She was quiet, refusing to meet his eye through the reflection, instead focusing on a pretty, silver hairbrush upon her vanity. 

"Addy... What happened?" Sirius asked again, quieter.

Adelaide took a breath. She had to tell him something... "My dad was upset... I've never seen him that upset with me before..." she said, still studying the hairbrush— it had 5 engraved roses on it. "But Mother sh-she..." she couldn't finish her sentence. She squeezed her eyes closed... trying to will the memories away... 

"P-please! Mother p-p-please! I'm s-s-sorry!" Adelaide sobbed, crumpled up in a ball on the marble floor. "I'll b-be good! P-please!"

"Crucio."

"—Addy? Did you hear what I said?" Sirius asked.

"I-I'm sorry, what?" she asked, embarrassed, trying to wipe away the tears that had escaped. 

Sirius's eyes were dark with concern. "I asked if you were okay..."

She took another steadying breath. "I'm fine," she said, noticing how flat and emotionless her own voice sounded. Sirius was obviously not convinced... "A-actually, I'm a bit tired," she added. "I think I'll have a rest. I'll see you at the train tomorrow." She faked a smile before closing the mirror, cutting off his reply.

The second the mirror shut and the magical connection was lost... Adelaide broke down in tears.

*  *  *

"ADDY!" Mary McDonald called from across the platform, smiling wide and waving like a bird trying to take flight. Adelaide, who was still standing with her parents, shot her a look to tell her to stay away. Mary nodded in understanding and boarded the train back to Hogwarts.

"I hope you'll be more wise in your future friendships, Adelaide," said the cold voice of her mother.

Adelaide winced just hearing her talk.

It was like every word could be the one that brought the pain back...

Her father crouched to meet Adelaide face-to-face, blue eyes somehow softer. "Stay out of trouble, Adelaide," he said quietly. Adelaide nodded fearfully.

There on the platform, in plain sight to all, Filip Fawley hugged his daughter goodbye for the first time ever. Adelaide was shocked, but like the last time he embraced her, she savored the moment, clutching her father closer, squeezing him. She didn't know why he was hugging her, but she didn't care. She relished any parental affection she could get... especially after what happened...