|49| So, What's the Verdict?

Adelaide arrived in her first Arithmancy class just seconds before the bell rang. She slid into the seat beside Remus and behind Lily, breathing heavy and fumbling to find her book out of her bag.

"Ads... what happened?! What did Dumbledore say?! You shouldn't have stuck up for me like that..." he whispered quickly.

"I'll explain everything later, but yes. I should have." she hissed back.

The class went by quicker than expected, probably because Adelaide actually found it interesting being able to predict the future in such a precise and measurable way. However, as interesting as it may have been, she was still annoyed to find out they already had homework the first day of class.

"Addy, we can work on it together..." Lily said as they left the class.

Adelaide groaned. "But why do they always have to muck up interesting classes by giving us homework in the first place? LILY WHY!?"

"You've obviously spent way too much time around Black." Lily giggled.

"Huh?"

"You're just so... dramatic this year. I mean you screamed at a teacher this morning Adelaide!"

"That git deserved it..." Adelaide grumbled.

Lily put her hands up in defense. "Never said he didn't! He was out of line. But, Last- Year-Addy wouldn't have called him out on it like that... Sirius might have though." she shrugged.

Adelaide continued to ponder this as the girls made their way toward the great hall for lunch. Was she different? Had she really changed that much? She thought, if anything she was just being more herself...

"ADDYKINS!" screamed a curly headed boy, running full steam ahead toward the petite blonde.

"Oomf! PADFOOT! PUT ME DOWN!" she squealed as he picked her up and spun her around in a hug. "PUT ME DOWN! YOU'RE MAKING ME DIZZY!" she laughed.

Sirius set her down gingerly. "You were bloody amazing back there!" he beamed, sitting in the seat beside her at the long table (she blushed slightly). "How bad is your detention?"

"Well Dumbledore didn't actually give me detention..." she said hesitantly.

"What?! Really?! That's great!" exclaimed James, as Peter beamed from where they were seated across from them.

Remus frowned from where he was sitting beside James. "But you were in there for a while... What did he say?"

Adelaide looked down, poking at her fish and chips with her fork and shrugged.

"Addy. That's not an answer." Sirius whispered.

"I'm aware of that." she mumbled.

Sirius's eyes darkened with concern. She was hiding something, but he figured she just didn't want to talk about it out in the open.

"We can talk about it later if you want." Sirius said thoughtfully. Adelaide nodded, still pushing around bits of fried fish.

After a long Transfiguration lesson, a lovely nap during History of Magic, and a delicious plate of roast beef at dinner, Adelaide went with the boys back to Gryffindor tower... slowly.

"I swear you are just going slow to bug me." Sirius said, trying to drag her up the stairs. Adelaide smirked. "You are, aren't you!?"

"That's only part of the reason!" she laughed. "I also just hate climbing all these stairs..." she grumbled, looking up to him in hopes of a piggy back ride.