|54| KNOCK UM DEAD

"I didn't realize Sirius was friends with Marlene?" Adelaide commented with her brows furrowed, taking a big bite of her oatmeal.

Mary's head whipped around, mouth full of toast, toward the honey blonde currently sitting with Adelaide's curly headed best friend. They seemed to be in a rather intense, hushed conversation at the end of the Gryffindor table. Mary frowned. "Me neither."

Adelaide pouted, taking a forceful swig of her pumpkin juice.

Evan watched the two in amusement. "So, you excited for your first game Ads?"

Adelaide moaned, flopping her head into her arms atop the Slytherin table.

"She's a little nervous..." Mary said in a loud whisper.

Evan nodded, knowing full well he would probably be a stuttering mess if he tried to talk to the beautiful brunette in front of him.

Regulus smirked. "I mean... she is going up against the best team..." he teased, taking a bite of his eggs.

Adelaide's head popped up, hair going every which way, eyes narrowed. "You take that back." she growled.

Evan raised his eyebrows. He still had a hard time knowing when she was joking. Regulus, however, chuckled from where he sat across from her. "Nope!" he grinned cheekily. "But, I will say, you and James are the only real threats to our chances of winning."

Adelaide smiled, and reached across the table, trying to ruffle his hair. "Hold still Reggie!" she giggled whist the tall, grey eyed, second year tried to move far enough away from her, laughing.

"Aw, aren't you two cute." sneered a pompous voice.

"Shut it, Avery." Mary snapped.

"Oh hello there McDonald, I didn't know you had a thing for snakes as well..." Mulciber purred, making Mary shiver in disgust. "Good to know..."

Evan stood up and stared down the two idiot third years. "Leave her alone or I will make sure the whole school knows about—"

"Oh don't get your knickers in a twist Rosier, we were only having a bit of fun." Mulciber said quickly, cutting him off, obviously rattled by whatever Evan was about to say.

"Well then go have 'fun' someplace else." Regulus drawled coldly, doing that thing where he sounded eerily like Orion Black.

Avery gave them both a contemptuous look, but dragged his friend to sit back down.

Mary looked over at Evan. "What kind of dirt do you have on those idiots?!" she asked in astonishment. "We haven't been able to get them to leave us alone for weeks!"

Evan tried to stutter out an answer, but was failing miserably. Meanwhile, Regulus looked quite upset. "Addy, why didn't you tell me they've been bothering you?"

Adelaide shrugged. "I didn't think it was that big of a deal."

Regulus took a steadying breath. "Tell me next time, okay Ads?"

Adelaide wasn't sure why Regulus was getting so upset about this, it's not like they were the only ones teasing and annoying her— but she agreed to let him know regardless.

After breakfast Adelaide and James trotted down to the changing rooms at the pitch.

"Why was Sirius talking to Marlene this morning?" Adelaide asked in a would-be-casual way as they walked through the grass, wrapping her scarf a bit closer to her in the chilly November air.

James shrugged, "I think they're partners or something in Divination." he said, mind clearly somewhere else. "Is Lily coming to the game?"

Adelaide smirked, eyes catching on some rustling shrub in the distance before landing on her love sick best friend. "Yes, yes she is."