|58| Facing Your Fears

"Moons... is it just me or have you noticed that Tuffy's been ignoring Pads?" James whispered at dinner, two nights after Adelaide was released from the hospital. Adelaide was sitting with the Slytherins, avoiding both the Marauders (AKA Sirius) and the girls (AKA Marlene), though if you asked her, she would deny any of this.

Remus raised an eyebrow. "Tuffy?"

"Yeah. Tufts. Tuffy..." Remus raised his eyebrow higher. "...You know I'm sensing a lot of judgement radiating from you right now." James said  gesturing toward the sassy werewolf.

"No judgement... A bit of mild concern for your terrible nicknaming abilities, but no judgment ... Also, to answer your question: Yes, I have noticed." 

"What do you think he did?" James asked.

"I think she's mad because he went to Hogsmeade with Marlene."

"Why?" James asked genuinely.

Remus just looked at him, waiting a moment to see if it would click. It didn't. He sighed. "He went on a date with Marlene..." he restated.

"What? No he didn't!"

"I mean, he went off with her... alone..." Remus trailed off.

"Remmy. I know for a fact he doesn't fancy Marlene." James said smugly. "Peter on the other hand... totally different story..." 

Remus and James's gazes each fixed themselves on the tubby blonde boy looking longingly at the honey blonde witch down the table. 

"How did I never notice this..." Remus asked mostly to himself. He shook himself out of his thoughts and turned back toward his messy haired friend. "Well if he doesn't fancy her, then what was he doing with her all day?!" Remus whispered incredulously. 

"I erm... I can't tell you. I'm sworn to secrecy." James said frustratedly.

Remus rolled his eyes. 

"Wait, why does Addy care if he goes on a date anyway?" James asked suspiciously. 

"I do not presume to understand the inner workings of Addy's mind. I just know she seemed a little annoyed by it is all." Remus shrugged, knowing good and well why she cared. 

"Hmm... Still... seems a little weird." James said suspiciously. 

*

"Hey Addykins!" Sirius tried on day three of Adelaide's attempt to ice him out. 

"Hi." she said simply, not looking up from the book she was reading about dream interpretations. 

Sirius frowned slightly, but plopped down on the couch beside her. "What are you reading?" he asked, peering over to get a better look at the book. 

"A divination book." she murmured shortly, moving away.

"What about?" he asked scooting closer.

Adelaide sighed loudly. "About dreams." 

"Is this about that nightmare you had the other day?"