|9| The Second September 1st

For the rest of the summer Adelaide's only contact with Sirius, or any of her other friends, was through the two-way mirror. She would visit her garden per usual, but instead of reading in the tree swing as she told her parents, she would talk and laugh with Sirius for hours. A lot of times he was hiding in his room (she knew it was his room by the large Gryffindor banner hanging on the wall—a gift from James), or on the steps outside his family's house, or even sometimes in his wardrobe—anywhere his mother couldn't find him. Her favorite days were when he would go to visit one of the other Marauders (most often James).

However, talking to your friends through a tiny enchanted mirror isn't the same as really being there, with them.

Adelaide was counting down the days until school began, and even packed all of her things three days in advance.

Finally, on September 1st, 1972 she would get to see her friends in person.

The weather outside was humid and warm, like it might rain soon, but Adelaide didn't care in the lease. Nothing was going to keep her from being excited.

Her and her parents were one of the first ones to the platform—they were planning to meet up with Sirius's family before they boarded the train.

Adelaide's face was impassive as she tried to contain the nervous-excitement buzzing in within, but a bit of it creeped out through the pads of her fingertips as she lightly tapped her trunk.

Her father looked down at her cooly, wordlessly conveying that her tapping was irritating.

She stopped immediately.

After several tense seconds she began silently tracing her initials on the trunk.

Mr. Filip Fawley exhaled almost as if he was amused—which he almost never was. Being perpetually unamused and unflappable was what made him so good at his job as the Head of The Department of Magical Law Enforcement. One might think, that to be intimidating you would have to raise your voice or make threats all the time... but that wasn't Filip's style. He was a quiet man, and everything he said was calm and well thought out, but had a razor cold edge.

Everyone always told Adelaide how much she looked like her father, but she figured it was just the hair. He had pale-blonde hair which was almost white, just like Adelaide's. His eyes, while deep set much like hers, were a cool blue.

Adelaide's eyes looked much more like her mother's.

Mrs. Cathryn Fawley was a very pretty woman, even at her advanced age, though Adelaide thought she would have been more beautiful if she didn't wear a perpetual look of disgust upon her face... her hair was a light brown with a few streaks of grey, and had big hazel green eyes that narrowed into a hawkish glare when she was cross—which she almost always was, unless she was drinking wine and gossiping with her friends. Those were possibly her two favorite things and she was very good at both of them. They were highly useful talents amongst the pureblood social sphere and people often called upon her to plan their fancy galas and parties.

After what felt like eons, two impassive parents and their fidgeting daughter were soon greeted by their old friends Mr. and Mrs. Black and their two sons. They exchanged pleasantries and then Adelaide gave a look to her mother.

"Oh, Walburga, Adelaide has a gift for Regulus," she drawled.

Regulus, who was looking rather forlorn despite the fact that he was about to go off to first year at Hogwarts, an exciting day for most, perked up at the mention of his name.

Adelaide smiled softly (grinning internally), and turned around to grab something from behind her. She turned back around holding a small bird cage containing a vibrantly lime green bird with gigantic eyes that was shaped somewhat like an upside-down teardrop with multicolored tail feathers.