|102| The Elephant In The Room

Adelaide raked her hands through her dirty, tangled hair, leaned against the mahogany railing of the boys' staircase.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid...." she muttered.

For many, it takes time for the full stupidity of ones actions to set in. Days. Months. Years even.

For Adelaide Rose Fawley it took roughly the time necessary to walk from the headmasters office to this specific location.

The low burning fire behind her let out a little pop, echoing in the abandoned common room, making her nearly jump out of her skin. She let out a heavy sigh then rested her forehead against the cool ancient stones of the castle walls.

How could she have been so incredibly stupid?

Trusting Dumbledore?

It all made so much sense in the moment... She obviously couldn't keep living with the stupid dreams any longer. And she couldn't exactly keep a vision of her crazy mother trying to kill them on her person..

But to let Dumbledore of all people have it for safe keeping?!

That was stupid.

Idiotic.

Ridiculous.

She should have picked Minnie.

Or James.

Or literally anyone else.

The realization that she had to fix this situation— that she was going to have to ask Dumbledore to give the memories back hit her like a herd of elephants. It made her want to be sick.

Add that she had mere hours before her potions exam and she was even more of a mess.

She needed Sirius.

She needed his warm hugs and forehead kisses of reassurance that always made everything better.

But that would require her telling him about what happened... about how bad the dreams had really been lately.

It was a burden she didn't want him to have to carry... but she just couldn't handle all this on her own anymore. Trying to do things on her own was what landed her in this mess in the first place.

She was reasonably certain he could forgive her for not telling him about her insomnia. Actually, knowing Sirius, he probably already suspected that her dreams were getting bad. But what would he do, what would he think when she told him that she allowed Dumbledore to tamper with her memories?

The memory thing was a hot topic with Sirius.

He was arguably more upset about her parents obliviating her than she was.

But this wasn't really erasing the memories... Dumbledore was right, they were still there... hidden away.

The real tricky bit was that Dumbledore now had uninhibited access to her supposed prophetic nightmare.

How was she ever going to explain it to Sirius? Would he understand why it was necessary?

He was her best friend and she knew him better than herself in someways... but she had no idea how he was going to react.

But she still needed to tell him.

If for no other reason than the fact that they told each other everything and lying to him made her feel like a horrible person.

Adelaide's forehead was still rested upon the wall when it shook, as if something very large was stomping around on one of the landings. Probably one of the older students throwing another one of their ridiculous parties upstairs, having nothing better to do after finishing O.W.L.s the week before (She couldn't really judge them though, she and the boys were planning a end-of-term soiree of their own— though, theirs was going to involve better activities, such as muggle board games and some contraband candy she had Rob send her from Bulgaria).