*Chapter 10...Disaster

Cameron's POV:

When I first found out I was to be Alpha, it was a year before I was to take the place of my father. Those days dragged on taking me meeting to meeting. Learning my role to the fullest and learning what to do for the final ceremony. I couldn't wait for that week to end. I wanted the end prize and no matter how fast the year was, it was the slowest I had ever thought possible. Until a week ago, I would have said that was the longest year I have ever endured.

Not now.

It's been a week. It's been the longest week of my entire life. The days drag on spending hours in the gym, communicating with the pack doctor, and occasionally in Athena's hospital room. At first, I spent every day with her in the hospital but Jason ignored me completely or, if I'm lucky, a distasteful glare. Continually, the atmosphere turned rigid and uncomfortable. I felt as if I was intruding. Now I stay away, only visiting a couple hours at a time.

It hurts to think that if I payed more attention I might have been able to help my little sister. What if I did something different? Would we be in this situation? I don't know. 

"Alpha." Mr. Lennon, Grace's father and pack doctor, greeted as he entered the room.

"Hello, Mr. Lennon." I greeted as politely as I could. He is not only a loyal member and an amazing doctor but also the father of Athena's closest friend.

"Alpha, I think I have some news."

My ears perked, lifting my head. He was opposite of me next to a slumbering Jason. As far as I know, he hasn't left Athena's side since her arrival to the hospital.

"What is it?" My voice laced with uncontrollable hope.

"Do you know who her mate is?"

"No, as far as I know she doesn't have one yet."

"If you can find her mate, it could help her body heal enough to wake her out of the coma. When she's out of the coma, it will help to have her mate by her side to heal."

She's in a coma!?

"She's in a coma?" I whispered confusion etched onto my features.

Mr. Lennon peered above his clipboard raising his eyebrows along the way.

"Yes, we have known now for most of the week." He answered unsure of how to approach the divulge of information.

Braxton whimpered, allowing the depressed emotion to flow into my shredded heart. For a while now, I have been on the verge of such somber emotion but Braxton never allowed them to take hold. What will happen with Sarah if I become depressed?

"Alpha?" Mr. Lennon's calming voice broke into my thoughts.

"Sorry, yes?"

"I suggest you try to find her mate." He said before leaving the room.

That's if her mate is sixteen or older now, if not we can't do anything until she turns seventeen. I guess I'll start with all the mate-less wolves in my pack first. Then move on to my closest allies packs. I'll work my way out. Hopefully her mate isn't too far away.

Eyes penetrate my skull, a slight betrayal emotion of hope leaked through but was shattered into oblivion when I turn my head to see her still peacefully laying on the bed. Hair formulating a soft hazy halo around her bandaged body.

Instead of Athena's piercing eyes, I'm met with Jason's. He appears much older than me now with dark bulging bags nestled under his eyes. His hair disheveled and hay wired from him his constant habit of running his fingers through it.