Chapter 1

Athena's POV

"Why can't I look for my mate?" My knuckles begun turning white from the harsh grip on the arm rests. Words barely able to hold back the growing distain at the repetitive conversation.

My brother's words further raise the mixture of pain, hurt, and frustration boiling within my frame. "Because you are not ready. You're not old enough to feel the bond. Plus, you may not have your wolf which makes it even more likely for you not to find your mate." His sharp tone bristles across my skin. His firm attempt at demanding submission.

"Bonds can still be felt even if I don't have a wolf and even though I'm fifteen."

"You won't be able to recognize it as your mate bond, though." He firmly reminded me with the rumbling undertones of his wolf.

"You still gonna make me wait until I'm sixteen?"

"No. You are going to wait until you have your wolf and pass all of the training. We've been over this, Athena. Why do you insist on going through this over and over again. It's not going to change."

"I guess a part of me always hopes that you would use your brain for once."

Once the words leave my lips, his pure growl rattled the room enveloping us in its waves of power. Without skipping a beat, I rush to my feet and slam my hands on his desk daring him to counter my words.

"You are not leaving. That. Is. Final." He stares me down demanding me to submit to his will.

"You aren't even thinking about the fact that the bond of my mate could ignite the rapid growth of my wolf."

"Stand down, Athena."

"No! You won't even listen to that possibility even though it was given to you through multiple doctor statements. I didn't know about any of that until Jason told me! Use your brain, and let me go."

We lean closer together. Him growling insistently and his eyes flickering from their hard hazel to the pools of endless black.

"Stand down."

"No."

"Stand down, Athena. Don't make me say it again."

I smirk before uttering the words I know he will despise, "No, Cameron."

An earsplitting roar reverberates from his form before everything flies off his desk. Before he could tackle me to the ground, a voice softly interrupts the commotion.

"Honey." Sarah's voice chimes from the door.

Without realizing it, my eyes roll and my entire body tenses fighting the urge to spin around a speak the words on the tip of my tongue at the nauseating presence of Cameron's mate.

"Is everything okay?" Sarah curiously asks as she wedges herself tighter in a sliver of the opening of the door.

I collapse into the chair with a roll of my eyes, "Just dandy."

"Athena."

Another stare down with Cam ensues leading to a quick shake of the head. "Welp." I slam my hands down onto the arms rest before rising to my feet. "Enjoy hell." I call over my shoulder before promptly pushing myself past Sarah, dear Luna, and out into the hallway.

With my rumbling stomach leading the way, I carefully make my way to the kitchen. Ensuring the coast is clear, I sneak my way in and slowly opening the fridge cringing at the sharp sound the door makes.

"Athena!"

"Can't I get a break?" I mumble under my breath before closing the door, spinning on my heel, and forcing my facial muscles to hold a smile. "Hi, Mrs. Kelly."

"What are you doing in my kitchen?!"

"Getting food." I shrug holding my tongue for once.

"No, you are not! It isn't time for lunch yet."

"It's called a snack. Plus, when I was younger, you said to come to the kitchen to eat when you are hungry. And I'm hungry now."

Without a second thought and as her mouth flops like a fish out of water, I grab a few items without too much focus and rush out of the room. I quickly made my way back to my room to enjoy the heavenly snacks.

--

A/N: I'm still going through rounds of editing and I'm finally able to consistently dedicate time to this process. Please be patient as I work to improve the overall story as well as the writing. I appreciate each and every single one of you!

P.S. If no one has told you today or in a while, you are special, you are worthy, you are intelligent, you are beautiful, you are creative, you are human. You deserve happiness, peace, love, respect, and everything good in the world. You are appreciated. Thank you! 

SweetOrdinary