Chapter 4

The picture above is close to what I was picturing their house to be. It's not exactly what my mind came up with but close.

Athena's POV:

Unable to physically control my outburst, ineloquent words tumbled out my mouth,  "What do you mean it's none of my fucking business!?"

Jason and I couldn't believe Cameron was being incredibly inconsiderate and rude. Jason stepped forward with blistering white knuckles and shaking muscles.

"Look, brother, it is our business. We are on the same side yet you don't act like it."

His words washed over me bringing me back to a few hours earlier. Jason and I learned the news of Cole in the same manner - during, practice and from teammates.

How can the entire pack seem to know? By the end of practice every person I passed was talking about him!

"It isn't anything you two need to worry about. If it was I would have told you." His voice reverberated around me leaving me stunned as he continues flipping through pages while periodically taking notes.

"If it isn't such a big deal, then why does everyone else know but we don't!" Jason slammed his fists down on Cameron's desk.

How can Cameron do this to us? Why were we last?

Cameron lifted his head starring at us with wide eyes for a short beat before he raised his hand to rub his face while releasing a huge sigh. "You two can stop the dramatics. I don't have time for this." His focus returned to his papers shuffling them around but with no apparent purpose.

Before I could put a filter over my mouth, I seethed, "Oh so now we are being dramatic."

"You don't have time for us? Got it, no wonder you didn't tell us." Jason gritted with clenched teeth.

The nonchalant and dismissive behavior of his was fuel to our anger and frustration. His simple words were the extra timber thrown into the pit adding to the fire. As everything combined, my control wavered even more. My instincts to fight were at the edge. All I need was one more stick to be thrown in for the flames of the fire to lick my heels and launch me over the edge.

Before any more words could be said or possible sticks thrown into the pit, a deafening creak pulled our attention to the office door. There, in the doorway practically hugging the door, was Sarah, Cameron's mate.

"What!?" Jason and I snapped at her.

"Um..." She gulped slowly moving across the massive door further into the room. "Um..." She mumbled glancing between everyone in the room. A deep breath one moment gave her enough courage to scurry to Cameron's side.

The dip of her head and ringing of her hands spoke volumes. Cameron pulled her hand over giving it a soft kiss before returning to his work. Movement to my right brought my attention away from the shaking woman and towards Jason.

Raised eyebrows was all that was needed to know that this was tiring beyond belief. It always is with Sarah.

With a heavy sigh and barely held anger, my voice graveled out the words felt by Jason and I, "You came in here for a reason. You have our attention. What is so damn important?"

Sarah visibly shrunk and shake in time with my harsh words. Cameron leans back finally fully paying attention to what's happening around him.

The silence was deafening as it fully enveloped us. All of us waiting for her to break the silence with her pressing reason for interrupting us. A beat. Then another. Another.

There in moment before it set in that she may not ever speak, she opens her mouth to utter a stutter of "Um.."

That became the stick that gave the flames enough fuel to lick my heels and launch me over the edge.

"Why are you interrupting us?" I hissed in her face.

"Um...C-C-Cam-Cameron."

"Well, finally the bloody Luna can speak." I grumbled pushing her away from me.

A loud rumbling growl swept around us as Cameron rushes to Sarah's side. Completely ignoring the subtle threat, I turn towards Jason with a growing smirk.

"Wanna play, J?"

He looked down at me and his face held his signature smirk agreeing with my proposal with a wink. A clear challenge dancing in his eyes knowing that our frustration will lead to a harsh game.

Releasing the frustration and anger would no longer happen here. Especially now that Sarah is in the room. So a game is necessary.

"She's a good luna, you know."

"I know, J. She's not great with us, though."

"I know."

"It makes it harder to recognize the qualities that make her a good luna."

"I know."

"It's sickening."

"That it is."

Those words hung around us as he quickly shifts and allows me to climb onto his back.

"Hello, Mason."

In a few short minutes, we were no longer behind the pack house but entering our backyard. The lap pool come into view quickly followed by the fun pool and hot tub. Mason slows down just a bit. A minute later we made it to the full size field where I climb off Mason. I dropped his clothes as I walked towards our storage of soccer equipment.

"Thanks for the ride, Mason!"

Still in my practice gear, I pulled onto a pair of training cleats and began warming up while waiting for Jason to be ready. A condensed field already set up from our last game made it that much easier to get into the game. A red and black ball bounce in front of my stretching form drawing my eyes up to meet Jason's.

"Ready?"

"Ready."

Hours passed by in a blur. Time was nonexistent when we play together. A game turned into one challenge after another. Bruises litter my skin while his quickly disappear. Darkness soon becomes too much for my eyes and our laughter drifts slightly quieter hinting to the end of necessary break. In these moments, nostalgic memories drift in pushing me towards weakness. It's weak to imagine a life that you lost when you know none of it will come back. In an effort to remain strong a laugh tumble from my lips as I stand to my feet.

"We need a bright light up neon soccer ball." I laughed again signaling it's time for me to be done before I get seriously injured.

"I'm surprised we don't have it yet."

"What do you want for dinner?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to have a movie night? If you say yes, I was thinking pizza or Chinese."

"Yes! Movie night!" "I don't care either one is fine."

"Ok." Jason said with a laugh, "Why don't you go take a shower and get comfy while I order the food. Then I'll get ready while we wait. Sound good?"

"Thanks, J!"

Strength returned fully in that moment.