24. Dance of Death

He spoke her name, gently as he was calling a child and not a fearless, deadly master vampire.

"Blaise."

Her tone was cold, familiar to Blaise too well. He lend her a half-smile which didn't change her stone-faced expression.

"You've changed."

He spoke eventually.

"I wish I could say the same for you."

He couldn't help not to let a laugh at that. He wanted to surprise her so he quickly swung his sword and attacked her, but Mina was more than ready and she raised her katana defending herself. She made a movement so graceful and precise that it radiated of elegance. Blaise stumbled back as she broke his defense. However, he managed to stuck his sword with hers, not letting her cut him.

"Where is the leader of the castle?"

He hissed in her face. She frowned deeply, making her eyes look dark and wild.

"In front of you."

She whispered with sharp tone as they finally let themselves go. He looked at her confused, not believing her.

"It can't be you."

She didn't say anything, but raised her katana toward him. This was a signal for her warriors to attack. Hidden back-up groups ran out of the forests and some of them were even dressed as Solitude soldiers. They were winning now.

Blaise fell back, not giving himself a privilege to die under the hand of the mistake, of a child he saved years ago.

The gates of the city closed after him, not letting vampires in. He soon climbed onto the wall and watched Mina standing aside, with her bodyguards, Loki and Lopt.

"Captain! They will breach in!"

One of the archers screamed to Blaise's ear.

"Not yet."

Blaise hissed and waited to give the order. He waited until most of Mina's forces gathered at the gates, almost breaching in.

Before he gave the order, he gaze one last time at Mina whose face got the terror-like expression when she realised she fell into his trap.

"You still have much to learn, lass."

And at that moment, he gave the order. Archers fired the arrows on fire onto her soldiers and the ground that was covered in oil. The fire swallowed Mina's vampires instantly.

◇◇◇

The guards quickly pushed Helval and Alesan to the small arena where was to be played the final part od the competition. Two best warriors were now ready to fight to death.

The crowd was cheering so loudly, hungry and eager to see more bloodshed. Alesan found that disgusting, but Helval enjoyed this moment as it was already his triumph. The High elf turned to face Alesan and gave him a wicked smile before the horn signalised the beginining of this dance of death.

"Shall we do this in old way?"

Helval asked, boasting Alesan who frowned. The Altmer threw away his mace and swung his fists in the air. Alesan copied him and threw aside his dagger. He clenched his fingers and formed fists, ready to break Helval's bones with his bare arms.

The crowd wasn't really happy with their choice of fighting, they showed that by mocking sounds. However, both of the competitors ignored their surroundings. After all, this was a fist fight to death.

Helval was the first to make a move. He ran toward Alesan and tried to punch him, but the dark-haired man was too fast - he avoided elf's attack with ease and trapped Helval's arm with his, raising a right leg to kick and break the arm. But Helval managed to set himself free and avoid the breaking of his arm, not the entire kick of Alesan's leg. The elf rolled backwards, but almost instantly charged toward Alesan. This movement surprised Alesan so he didn't move in time. Helval managed to knock him on the ground.

The crowd was now so loud that their screams felt like a war drums inside Alesan's head. The sand has gotten into his eyes, but he was holding tightly the defence, not letting Helval punch him. However, few punches slipped in and Alesan felt a numb pain growing through his skull. The bone has surely cracked. The red liquid flew.

Somehow, Alesan managed to kick Helval in ribs making him fall off him. He used this chance to roll away, further and remove the blood and sand from his eyes. However, Helval was already on his feet and managed to knock Alesan again to the ground.

This time Alesan didn't react in time, so the Altmer wrapped his golden fingers around his neck, choking him. He felt the powerful grip blocking the blood flow in his veins and oxygen through his throat.

"Alesan."

Helval growled. Alesan looked into Altmer's eyes which were not at all filled with aggression.

"I have to kill you."

Alesan listened to Helval's eerie voice. His words made no sense. But he surely won't let him do so.

He dug his sharp nails into Helval's arms and tear off parts of his skin, making Helval scream and release him.

Once again, Alesan felt the aggressive call inside him, that turned him into a beast. He jumped on Helval's ribs, pressing his full weight on him. The satisfying sound of bone cracking filled the arena. Helval didn't even scream, he couldn't come to the air.

Alesan grabbed Helval's face and prepared to disfigure it, when Helval grabbed his hands, but with no strength. Almost as he wasn't fighting anymore.

"A-Alesan..."

He spoke with broken voice. Alesan was already preparing to dug his fingers into Alesan's eyes.

"D-Do you remember h-her?"

Alesan stopped now and didn't know why. He didn't even know he was listening to Helval.

"Mina. S-She is...here..."

He released Helval. The elf grabbed Alesan and wrapped his hands around his neck. The crowd gasped under this sudden turn of events. And than Helval turned his arms, breaking Alesan's neck.