14. Heroes and Villains

Second competition. It was more serious than the first one. Alesan carefully scaned the rest of the competitors with his eye. No'El was standing next to him, giving him some tips.

"You are fighting in the pit. With a wild animal. It's important to take the advantage of the space you are fighting in. Or better said, trying to survive. Do not try to fight with animal. You will lose. See that pighead over there? He'll be the first to do that. I bet you'll here the horn in less then five seconds after the start."

No'El was pointing at the huge, tattooed Orc. He was just chewing an apple. Eating even the part that was considered not eatable.

"I didn't manage to get some more information, but it is said you will be offered a weapon. My advice is to chose something small. You'll need speed. Don't even think about taking two-handed weapon. That's what that pighead will do."

It was kind of amusing how No'El couldn't stop mocking that Orc.

"A dagger?"

"Smaller."

The sound of horn interrupted them. The competitors approached the doors that will open soon and led them to their pits. Each one will get a different animal to fight.

Alesan gathered his hair into a small ponytail. It was already too long. But he didn't want to cut it. Even though Blaise said he couldn't look at him with that tuft. Alesan was just waiting for Blaise to order him to cut the hair. But why such fuss over that?

The doors opened and the competitors entered each through one door. In front of Alesan was a desk where were placed weapons of different sizes and types.

Those were mostly swords and maces. And two-handed weapons. He ignored them though they were tempting.

He searched for small weapons. His eyes soon found some daggers. He lifted a few of them but they were all heavy. It will slow him down. Then he noticed a small, dull piece of iron. It was one of the knives prisoners made for self-defense in mines or prisons.

He gently took the improvised knife in hand. The shiv was light and perfectly balanced. I hope I won't regret this, No'El.

♢♢♢

"Will they start soon?"

Lady Lucrezia impatiently asked. She was drinking white wine. She didn't like the taste of it. It was too bitter.

"Patience, Lucrezia."

Jarl Elisif scolded her. She rolled her eyes as she took another glass of wine.

Lucrezia turned and noticed a man approaching her. She immediatley recgonised the bronze hair and ocean blue eyes.

"Sir Blaise, I'm glad you joined us."

Jarl Elisif said. Blaise nodded and bowed to both of them. He walked over to Lucrezia and sat next to her.

"Did they start?"

"Nope."

"Good. Then I am not late."

"If that's an excuse."

Lucrezia joked. They didn't spoke too loud. It wasn't quite pleasant having a Jarl sitting right behind you, on a throne.

Suddenly, the sound of horn signalised the beginning. Animals were let in the cages. Blaise carefully scaned every pit, watching both the animal and competitor. He froze when he saw Alesan was fighting a small, young dragon.