11. One Step Back

Alesan opened his eyes. He saw dark, wooden ceiling. Where am I?

He turned a bit but he felt pain spreading all over his body. Like he wasn't moving for centuries.

And he felt so weak. Weaker than dandellion on the wind.

"He's awake."

He heard the unkown voice and tried to open his eyes one more time, but could only see silhouettes so he closed them soon.

"Alesan?"

He heard a voice that belonged to no one in that room. It was like a violin. Eerie yet beautiful. Deep inside, he knew who it belonged to. And for a moment he saw that sliver face. But it faded. Like a butterfly on the moonlight.

"Alesan?"

This one belonged to someone he knew very well. Male voice. What was his name...?

"Blaise..."

"I am here. Are you all right, mate?"

He sounded worried. But Alesan was too weak to look him. He passed out.

♢♢♢

When he opened his eyes, he found himself in his room this time. He felt a lot better, but was still dizzy. At least he could get up now. And so he did.

"Good to see you are well."

A strange voice came from the other side of the room. He saw a familiar pair of cat eyes.

"What are you doing here, No'El?"

Alesan asked, a bit too sharp. Again, Khajiit wore that expressionless mask.

"Tomorrow is your testing."

He said. Alesan felt his face getting paler and paler.

"T-Tomorrow? I was unconscious for almost two days?"

He stammered. No'El nodded.

"We've got a lot of work to do."

"There's no way I'll pass that."

"And how's that?"

No'El asked. Alesan felt familiar spike of rage starting to boil inside his ribcage.

"If you weren't joking around and making me care those barrels around I would be in much better state now."

No'El smirked. For the first time, he show some kind of emotion.

"Seems like you haven't learnt anything. Perhaps you'll always be just like ash. Dark ash."

What is he talking about? What kind of ash? What is he trying to do? Is he hitting skooma?

No'El frowned at seeing Alesan's confused reaction. Alesan was now even more confused.

"What kind of dark ash? You will be dark ash when I get you."

"Yeah. Keep on dreaming."

Khajiit said. He was still frowning. Before he left the room he stopped and said: