The Fight Within

Mernique opened her eyes. She slowly stretched. Everything was sore today. She can still remember the creature's yellow eyes. She prefered the normal Sirens. She swung her feet  the bed. She changed into her training gear. She knows she needs to take things easy after nearly dying but she doesn't want to sit and do nothing.

Her mind would wander too much. She slowly opened the door feeling the morning breeze. It wasn't early but it wasn't late. She slowly climbed down the ladder. The railing suddenly broke away and she fell with a blinding speed to the ground. She was falling so fast she didn't have time to scream. She closed her eyes ready to feel blazing pain shoot her. She waited and waited... Nothing came.

Shouldn't she have hit the ground by now? She dared to open her eyes. She was hovering above the ground. She wasn't flying... but she wasn't falling either. A fire surrounded her body keeping her body hovering.  She gasped and felt herself lowered gently to the ground. She stood up dusting the leaves and dirt off. She carefully walked to the ladder. It was made out of wood so it couldn't have rusted. She touched the wood and saw the wood was chopped at the side.

That's strange it wasn't there yesterday. Did someone try to sabotage the ladder? It would have maybe caused a sprained ankle  broken arm the worst but wouldn't kill her. She narrowed her  around her. Someone must have done it this morning. She could be wrong. It could have been just a prank horribly planned. Mernique sat and ate her breakfast.

She was starving after missing dinner last night. Her brother or sisters was no where to be seen. To think about neither is Felix or Pan. She ate quickly and decided to look for them. She tracked them in the woods near an open space. She saw her sister and brother was sparring against each other. Concentration on Sarien's face but Roland was smiling like he has already won.

She soon caught Felix training with Charlotte and Blade. It was two against one. Felix kept them well in line. The last person she saw was Pan and Wendy training. She blinked. Since when does Wendy train?  She saw Pan showing Wendy the basic. How to punch without breaking your thumb. How to properly kick and where to kick. Also the self defense moves.

She watched them for a moment. "Watch out! "Someone called. She turned just in time and felt her senses on high alert. She caught something in mid air. She gasped at the speed and force at the dagger. First the ladder now a dagger? Was someone trying to kill her? She lowered the dagger from her chest. She saw her youngest sister running to her.

Her eyes were big. "Mernique... I'm so sorry. Are you alright? "Kayla asked talking like a train. "Don't be sorry. It was really good aim. Luckily my reflexes works today. "She said with a smile. "You think so? "Kayla  asked with a ghostly smile. "Yes. Can you hit a moving target? Mernique asked. "I don't know. "Kayla shook her head.

She pulled her arm gently further away. "Ok I'm going to move the target see if you can hit it. "She said while she held her hand out making the target hover in the air. Kayla missed a few times but then slammed her knife in the last one. "Can you lift the target? I want to show you something. "She asked and Kayla nodded slowly. She reached her hand out and the thing lifted in the air.

Mernique took the daggers Kayla dropped. "Its all about timing. Make the target move a bit. "She commanded and saw it swinging. She remebered everything Pan and her grandfather told her about knives. She released the first one and it landed in the center. Kayla gaped at her but then made the target faster. Each time Mernique's hit it.

"How do you do it? "Kayla demanded. "The key is slowing the target down in you're mind. Try it. "Mernique said lifting the target again. This time she got each one in the center. She smiled triumphantly. Suddenly she spun around and the knife went sailing through the hair. She spun around in time to see Pan catch it in mid air just like she did but this time it was a few inches away from his forehead.