Chapter One

I got up early that morning to make myself presentable for the day. I had decided last night that I was going to attend high school since I had nothing better to do and it would help me fit in better in the town. I wanted to be present on the first day of school. After arriving in Mystic Falls in the middle of the night, I had checked into a motel rather than go house hunting at 4 in the morning.

I put on a pair of skinny jeans, a white tank top and grey cardigan. My long red brown hair was a mess so I brush through it quickly and leave it since it’s naturally wavy.

The school wasn’t that far away from the motel I was staying in so I decide to walk. After checking out, I pick up my duffle bag which contained my life and headed to school. I only had a change of clothes and some personal belongings that I carried around with me all the time. I made a mental note to myself to remember to call someone and have them bring me all my clothing after I found a suitable residence to reside in.

I arrive at the school in no time and head to the front office. There are a lot of people staring and whispering about me as I walk by them. I sigh. I guess that’s what happens you live in a small town, any piece of gossip is instantly devoured and since I’m the new girl, there is a lot to be said about me.

I walk by a tall, pretty blonde girl who wrinkles up her pretty little nose and gives me a dirty look. I smirk back at her and she glares even harder. I know I’m only receiving the attention because of my looks. I’m average height with a vibrant shade of red brown hair. My eyes are emerald green and my skin is pale and flawless. I guess that’s a perk of being a vampire because I don’t remember being pretty when I was still human. My sister got most of the attention back in the day.

I arrive at the office and walk in. The secretary is a little black lady with curly hair and a pinched face. She doesn’t even look up from her papers even though I’ve made it evident that I was in the room. How rude.

“Hi,” I say walking up to her.

“Hello dear, how may I help you?” She still doesn’t look up.

I wrinkle my nose irritated. I hated it when people called me “dear”. I didn’t even know this lady and she was being extremely rude, not paying attention to me.

“Hi,” I say again. “My name is Alayne Mikaelson, I’m transferring here.”

She finally decides to look up at me.

“I’m sorry? I didn’t get any notice about any transfer students,” she glares up at me from behind her desk. “Let me see your papers.” I hand her some sheets that I had arranged before arriving in Mystic Falls.

“You’re missing lots of records,” she declares sternly.

“I’m sure we can fix that,” I say as I lean in. I look right into her beady, little black eyes. “My name is Alayne Mikaelson. I’m a transfer student and you are going to help me sort out all the necessary paperwork.”

She blinks a couple of times before her eyes refocus on me.

“Oh wait, I remember something about a new student now,” the secretary chirps. “Just let me print out your schedule. No need to worry about anything else, I’ll take care of it all for you.”

I smile sweetly at her. “Thank you for your cooperation.”

She hands me my timetable and I practically skip out of the office. I was thinking about how easy it was to compel the secretary that I don’t notice the boy I’m about to walk right in to. Apparently he thought I was going to move out of the way too so we end up colliding with each other.

“Oops,” I blurt out.

The guy I bumped into was wearing sunglasses so I couldn’t see his expression but I can feel my body react when we made contact. His hand brushed mine slightly and my witch senses started flashing wildly. He was a vampire. The guy just gives me a curt nod before proceeding to the secretary. I don’t think he knows that I’m a vampire as well though since he has no hostile reaction to me.