Chapter Sixteen

“Anna took Elena.” Stefan is pacing around the living room, worrying.

“Yeah, I got that from the 600 voice mails you left,” Damon says uncaringly, not even bothering to look up from his newspaper.

“What if you blood hasn’t passed out of her system yet?”

“Well then at least you know you’ll see her again.”

“Please, what do you know? You were with Anna, you must know where she’s living, Please Damon,” begs Stefan. “Tell me where I can find her.”

Damon pretends to think for a moment. “Nope.”

“Grovelling is not an attractive sight Stefan,” I say.

“You know, all I can remember is hating you. There might have been a time where things were different but all your choices have erased all the good in you.”

“Stefan,” I smile sweetly. “You want Damon’s help, try to be more polite.”

“Who’s side are you on?”

“The side that’s right and right now, that happens to be Damon’s. Anyways, in case you forgot, I was there with Damon when he spoke to Anna. You could’ve asked me where she lives but no, you just had to bug Damon about it.”

“Where is she?”

“Not telling.”

“Alayne!” Stefan screams in agony.

“Stefan!” I mock his tone. “Don’t patronize me.”

Stefan turns back to Damon. “Look, I know you have every reason in the world to hate me. This all started with me. Katherine got taken away from you, because of me. And I’m sorry.”

Damon stares at his brother long and hard. “Apology accepted.”

“So please,” continues Stefan. “Just tell me what you know.”

Damon continues reading his newspaper.

“Damon, it’s Elena. If you know something, tell me.”

Damon closes his paper and stands up. Stefan stands up along with him, hope on his face.

“I mean this sincerely,” Damon starts. “I hope Elena dies.”

***

I leave the boarding house to avoid any more drama with the Salvatore brothers. Elena was my friend but she was also their problem so I didn’t bother looking for her. Stefan would figure it out sooner or later. I decide to go to the Grill to see if any of my other friends were around.

The good news: Jeremy was there doing homework. The bad news: Matt and Tyler were there playing pool.

More bad news: Tyler and Matt saw me first and Jeremy didn’t… Oh look, they’re waving at me now…

It would probably be really awkward if I pretended I didn’t see them so I suck it up and walk over. I plaster a fake smile on my face.

“Hey guys!”

“Alayne,” Tyler smirks at me while Matt just nods. Things were still quite awkward between us since the incident last time where I had apparently hurt Caroline. If I remembered correctly, she totally deserved it.

“What’s up?” I ask them, sitting on the edge of the pool table.

“Talking about how Duke’s getting hooked up with 10 kegs,” Tyler grins.