Epilogue

I walk out into my bedroom in just a towel after my long and refreshing shower. The fiasco at the old witch house wasn’t much fun. Apparently, the Salvatore brothers ruined my mother’s plan to kill my siblings which earned them brownie points but didn’t really change their status with me. They were still assholes and I did not mind if they died. I quickly slip on a dark grey hoodie and a pair of black sweat pants and head downstairs into the dining room.

Klaus is standing by the fire place with a glass of alcohol in his hand, staring deeply into the flames. Elijah is silently staring out the window and Kol is lounging casually against the wall.

“I’m leaving,” I announce. “I’ve decided that I’ve had enough of a small town life. It’s time to get back to the real world.”

Elijah raises his eyebrows but doesn’t say anything. Klaus glances up from the fire place.

“You’re going to leave me here alone?” he wonders.

“Please,” I scoff. “I’m quite sure Rebekah will stay to keep you company.”

Klaus smiles a little. “But I’ll miss you. If you stay with Bekah and myself, it’ll be like the happy times when Kol and Finn were still daggered and Elijah was gone.”

I laugh. “Oh those were the good days.”

We all chuckle lightly and then the room is thrown into silence.

“I really do need to go,” I break the silence.

Klaus sighs. “You could stay here, you know. We could be together and no one would ever bother you if your big bad brother is around to protect you.”

“Like I need your help protecting myself,” I ridicule. “I’m leaving. I’ve had enough of the people in this town. If I stay, I’ll end up killing your precious doppelganger and then you’ll wish I had left when I wanted to. You have my number so do call if you shall ever require my assistance.”

Klaus nods his head, silent agreeing. Kol straightens himself up.

“I’ll go with you.”

“Yes!” I cheer. “I was hoping you would come along with me, Kol. I’ve missed having you as a companion.”

Kol smirks. “I knew you missed me.”

I throw a glance back towards Klaus. “If the Salvatores ever piss you off, I’ll be more than glad to return to kick there asses. Seriously, I would not mind ripping out Stefan’s heart and feeding it to himself.”

Klaus chuckles. “I’ll let you know when I need someone to rip out hearts.”

I walk over to Elijah and wrap my arms around him.

“Goodbye, brother,” I murmur. “You know how to reach me if you ever need me.”

Elijah finally blinks and moves away from the window.

“Esther is right about us being monsters,” he says.

I shake my head. “She wants to kill her own children; I do not think she is qualified to determine what a monster is.”

Elijah cracks a smile. “Try not to kill too many people.”

“Why not?” I pout. “It’s so much fun and I haven’t done it in so long!”

“Alayne,” he says in a warning voice.

“No way, Elijah,” I reply stubbornly. “I tried being peaceful in Mystic Falls and look where that got me. Hell no. I’m just going to be a vampire now; after all, it is in my nature.”