Chapter Two

I could feel the tension in the kitchen as I walk downstairs for breakfast that morning. Stefan, Damon and Zach are all sitting in the kitchen glaring at each other.

“Good morning!” I say in a perky voice as I walk in.

Stefan and Zach both give me silent nods but it’s Damon who comes over and greets me properly.

“Good morning Aly,” he greets me.

“Aly?” I raise my eyebrows at him.

“Yeah that’s my nickname for you,” he smirks his cocky smirk. Stefan and Zach are both still completely silent.

“So,” I begin awkwardly. “What happened last night?”

Once again, Stefan and Zach both don’t say anything and it is Damon who replies me.

“Stefan and I got into a bit of an argument. Then I told Zach that I would be staying in town for a while and he took a hissy fit and now won’t speak at all. Then after that, I went to the Grill and I think Stefan went over to his girlfriend’s house.”

I look at Stefan. “You have a girlfriend?”

“No, I went over to Elena’s,” he says without looking at me.

I look over at Damon and give him the What-is-his-problem look. Damon just shrugs and turns away.

I walk over to the counter and make myself a cup of coffee. I look at Zach.

“So Zach, did you want to discuss my rent?” I ask while sipping the burning hot coffee.

“Sure,” mumbles Zach.

“Wait, you’re making her pay rent?” Damon asks.

Zach glares at him. “Yeah I am.”

Damon then looks at me. “You don’t have to pay rent if you don’t want to. I’ll take care of it.”

“And how do you plan on doing that Damon?” Zach retorts.

“Easy,” Damon smirks. “You aren’t charging her anything.”

“That is ridiculous.”

“Actually that sounds pretty good,” I interject.

They all stare at me, Stefan and Zach have looks of disbelief in their eyes but Damon is grinning.

“I like her,” he states.

“We should be best buddies,” I grin back.

“Deal. Do you need a ride to school?”

I think. “Yeah that would be great. Can you take me to a car dealership after school though? I need to get my own car; it’s more convenient than walking everywhere.”

“Sure,” Damon agrees.

I can tell that we’re going to get along great but I can’t keep that nagging feeling away. I know that Damon practically has no humanity but I feel like there is something there in him still. As far as I could tell, he was a guy that liked to have fun and that’s all I really cared about.

Damon drops me off at school a little early too early and I decide to hang around outside a bit. There’s no one here yet and soon I get bored. I decided to ditch the first half of school and I head to the Mystic Falls Grill. The Grill is just opening and I am one of their first customers for the day. I order a cup of coffee and some bacon and eggs.

I sit in the corner and eat my food alone and that’s when Damon slides into the seat across from me.

“So I drive you to school and then you just ditch and hang out here instead?”