Chapter Twelve

“So, where are you going?” Stefan asks Damon.

We were all standing around the living room in the boarding house. The Salvatore brothers had both decided they were going to leave town but I knew I wanted to stick around for a while. There was just too much of an opportunity to actually have a short, peaceful life here, even though Elena knew my secret.

“I don’t know.” Damon stares out one of the windows. “London maybe, see some friends.”

“You don’t have any friends, Damon,” I point out.

“You’re right, all I have is Stefan. So, where are we going?” Damon turns around and grins at his brother.

“We are not going anywhere,” Stefan says firmly. “I am going to live my life as far away from you as possible.”

“But we’re a team! We could travel the world together!” insists Damon. “We could try out for The Amazing Race.”

“That’s funny,” Stefan says sarcastically. “Seriously though, where are you going? Because we are not staying in this town.”

The doorbell rings and we all share a confused look, wondering who that would be. I’m the first one to reach the door and I pull it open to reveal Sheriff Forbes.

“I need to speak to Damon,” she says right away.

“Nice to see you too,” I mutter under my breath. I turn around and yell into the house, “DAMON!”

He appears next to me and a look of shock is registered on his face as he sees the Sheriff.

“Sheriff,” he greets. “What a surprise?”

“Sorry to bother you Damon, but we need to talk.”

Damon nods his head once. “Come in.”

Once the sheriff comes in, Damon leads her out into the backyard. I hear him tell her how Stefan and I don’t know anything about the vampire crap and she tells him that there has been another attack.

“A female victim, her throat torn out and body drained completely of blood. It fits the pattern,” the sheriff says.

“I’m sorry I don’t understand.” I hear Damon lie. “I thought this problem was solved and done with when I,” he hesitates. “When I staked the blonde one.”

“I’m thinking that maybe she had the opportunity to turn someone. Or multiple someone’s. There is no way of knowing for sure. The story for the town is another animal attack but I’m not sure how much longer we can keep this from them. The council is in an uproar, they thought this was all taken care of.”

“So what do we do?”

“You are the only person in this town who has had the experience with taking on a vampire. We were hoping you could tell us.”

I look over at Stefan. “Are you guys still leaving?”

He has a grim expression on his face and he answers me, “We need to stay to fix this problem.”

***

After the Sheriff left, I decide to head to school. Stefan skips the day to mope around at the boarding house so I leave him with Damon to deal with this new vamp issue. I walk into the history classroom and hand in my paper to Alaric Saltzman.

He raises his eyebrows at me, a look of surprise on his face. “I didn’t expect you to be finished this quickly. Did you cheat?”

I just laugh and smirk at him. “I’m not stupid Mr. Saltzman., just lazy. All the stuff is perfectly referenced and you can check it up with Jeremy’s old journals or the town’s records.”