Chapter Twenty-One

“It’s so hard to see him locked up like this,” Elena says.

It had been a couple of days since Elena and Damon had plotted to lock Stefan up together. There hadn’t been any changes in Stefan though but they were still hoping to wait it out.

“You’re the one who locked him up,” Damon replies in a flat voice.

“Yeah, and who helped her plan this?” I ask.

“I couldn’t have him running around, chewing on people when the town’s look for vampires, now could I?”

“It had nothing to do with you actually caring about him,” retorts Elena.

Damon just shrugs before walking back up the stairs. I throw Stefan’s body one more look before I follow Damon and eventually, Elena comes trailing after us.

“So did you figure out what that device is yet?” I ask Damon.

“Nope, whatever it is, doesn’t work.”

“Pearl didn’t say anything else about it?” inquires Elena.

“She thought she was stealing his vampire compass but that was the pocket watch,” I explain to Elena. “That Jonathan Gilbert was a crazy scientist.”

Elena just smiles ruefully.

“Have you spoken to your uncle lately?” Damon cuts in.

“I’ve been avoiding him actually,” she says. “That and I’ve been here most nights.”

Damon shoots me a look before speaking to Elena. “So you’ll be here again tonight?”

“Is that a problem?”

“Yes, you’re a complete nuisance.”

Elena rolls her eyes. “Aly, are you coming to school today?”

“Yes, just give me a minute to change and grab my stuff.”

“Hurry! Or we’re going to be late!”

I practically fly up to my room with vampire speed and throw out my outfit for the day: a black chiffon top with a red tank top underneath, black skinny jeans and a pair of black Toms. I grabbed my bag and my leather jacket before running back downstairs. Elena honks the horn at me and I roll my eyes. She could be so impatient sometimes. I grab a blood bag before running out of the house, tearing it with my teeth as I climb into Elena’s car. She throws me a disgusted look.

“Do you have to do that now?”

“No, not if you’re offering me a vein,” I smile, showing my teeth.

She shudders delicately. “Just don’t get it anywhere in the car and please make sure no one sees anything.”

I sigh. “I was actually hoping that you would offer since blood bags are gross.”

Elena drives in silence for a while before turning to me. “Look, I changed my mind; I’m not going to school today. Can I just drop you off? I’m going back to check on Stefan.”

“Elena, Stefan doesn’t need to be babysat.”

“I know, I know, but I feel responsible for all this that he is going through since I made him feed in the first place.”

“Wait, why am I going to school?” I raise my eyebrows at her.

“Uh, because you love it there?” She smiles weakly at me. “I’ll pick you up after school?”

I shake my head. “Don’t bother, I’ll either hitch a ride with someone or walk.”

Elena drops me off at the front of the school and I grudgingly climb out. I take a deep breath and walk through the doors. It seemed like the morning of my very first day again since I hadn’t really been in school that long. I got weird looks from all the other students. I roll my eyes, keeping my head held high and stalk off to my first period class. For once, I am actually early.