Chapter Fifteen

When I finish, I find Stefan and Damon lounging in the corridor, having a nice civilized chat.

“No way he was working alone,” Damon argue.

“You are,” Stefan counters. Damon shoots him a look. “So the grimoire, it was Emily’s right? That’s what you need to reverse the spell? When the founding families burned her, they took her things and you were hoping that Dad’s journal would tell you where it was.”

Damon smirks. “Look at you, putting the pieces together. Good for you.” Stefan nods. “Well it’s out there now, so let the games begin.”

“You know my offer still stands right?” Stefan tells Damon. “No lies, no deception. I’m there when you open up that tomb. You and Katherine go while the other twenty six vampires die.”

“If I agree?”

“I’ll help you.”

“Why should I trust you?”

“Really guys, the whole trust issue with each other again?” I say exasperated.

“Because I’m your brother.” Stefan ignores my comment.

“Nah, that’s not going to cut it.” Damon chooses to ignore me too.

“Fine, because I want you gone,” Stefan says clearly.

They both stare at each other for a good ten seconds before Damon finally agrees.

“Okay.”

They both nod at each other and agree to their silent terms.

“Where’d Elena go?” I break the silence.

“She went to check on Jeremy but she should be back soon. Aly, I need to ask you a favour,” Stefan says. “Do you mind staying over at Elena’s again tonight, just in case? I don’t want anything bad to happen right after.”

I nod, “If Elena’s okay with it, I don’t really care.”

“Thank you.”

Damon decides he needs to disappear off to do his own thing. Stefan and I meet Elena outside and we go back to Elena’s house. Stefan goes into the kitchen to make us tea and Elena and I sit on the couch.

“You guys doing okay?” Stefan asks.

I nod. Elena replies, “Is it weird if I say yes?”

“Is it true?”

“I know I should feel more upset or scared or something but I feel kind of exhilarated.”

“It’s the adrenaline,” Stefan smiles. “You’ll crash soon enough.”

“Yeah I guess,” mumbles Elena. Then she smiles a huge smile. “I fought back tonight and it felt good.”

Stefan watches her, amusement on his face as he walks over and hands us each a cuppa. “I wish you didn’t have to fight at all.” He sits down next to Elena.

“Still,” she says.

“I need to tell you something and I don’t know how you’re going to feel about it.”

“What?” Elena asks warily, setting down her cup of tea.

“He told Damon he was going to help him get into the tomb to free Katherine,” I inform Elena. Stefan shoots me a look and I disregard it.

“It was a complete lie though,” Stefan says. “I let him believe that he could trust me.”

“Then why are you worried about how I’m going to take this?”