Chapter Twenty-Four

“What’s wrong?” Sebastian grabs my arm immediately.

“Damon!” I call out immediately. I push Sebastian off me and fly up the stairs. “Damon! Damon!”

“What?” Damon walks out of his room irritably.

“Katherine just phoned me.” At the mention of Katherine’s name, a dark look clouds Damon’s eyes.

“I don’t want to know anything about what that bitch is doing or has done,” he snarls.

“I think she killed Caroline.”

Damon glances up with an uninterested look. “And I care because?”

I shrug. “Actually, I don’t know. I’m not sure why I care so much either.”

“Here’s a tip: Stop caring,” snaps Damon.

“Whoa, what happened to you?”

“Katherine happened,” Damon growls. “She told me that- that she nev- never loved me and that it was always Stefan. Then Elena goes and tells me the exact same thing. I’m sure you can understand my bad mood.”

I sigh. Poor Damon really did have the worst luck when it came to his selection of females.

“Did it ever occur to you she might have said that to severe the almost non-existent bond between you and your brother?” I inquire.

“She looked me right in the eye and told me.”

“I think we all know that Katherine is an accomplished liar by now.”

“Why don’t you go bother Stefan with this information?” asks Damon. “I’m sure he would care.”

“Stefan and I are not on speaking terms,” I mutter.

Damon’s eyes light up. “Finally. You’re like me Aly, and Stefan will never be able to accept people like us.”

“People like us?”

“We’re the bad guys.”

I laugh. “Get your drunk ass back to sleep then. I’ll deal with this tomorrow, if she really has killed Caroline, there is nothing I can do about it.”

I leave Damon and walk back downstairs to find Sebastian, who seems to have disappeared. I creep around the house to see if Sebastian left a trace but there was utterly nothing. It was like he vanished into thin air.

“Sebastian?” I call out.

I am greeted with silence.

***

I walk into the hospital the next morning to check up on Caroline. Apparently, there was some carnival going on at the school and any who went was reined into helping out. Since Caroline was out of commission, I knew Elena and Bonnie would be doing their best to try and fill her shoes.

“She’s being released tomorrow morning,” the receptionist smiles at me before waving me towards Caroline’s room. “But if you get her to eat something before then, that would be really great? She stopped eating last night.”

I nod and knock on the door to Caroline’s room before entering.

“Care?”

When I open the door, I see her pull her hand back away from the sunlight quickly.

“Hey!”

“The nurse said that you stopped eating,” I comment. “Did you want me to go grab you some food?”