Chapter Fourteen

“Sebastian,” I mutter quietly, only so that he could hear me. “You need to get out of here now.”

He nods in understanding and takes off out of the bar immediately. I take a chance and I slide into the seat right beside Alaric.

“Hi Mr. Saltzman, fancy meeting you here!”

“Was that guy your friend?”

“Do you always come here for a drink?” I continue to babble on.

Alaric slams his glass on alcohol down on the table, hard and glares at me. “That was the man that killed my wife.”

“He’s only nineteen so technically he’s not a man yet.”

Alaric glares at me one more time before he stands up and leaves without another word. I sit there, hoping I bought Sebastian enough time to run away and leave this town. Since I had nothing better to do and had practically wasted the entire day by sleeping, I went over to Elena’s house to see how she was dealing with all this. I hadn’t spoken to her in a while and everything had gone crazy in between.

Jeremy opens the door when I arrive and he invites me in straightaway.

“Hi Jer, is Elena home?”

“Yeah she’s upstairs in her room. Go on up!”

I find Elena and Stefan both looming over a box of jewelry on in room. I jump onto the bed with them and the bed bounces slightly.

“Has Stefan turned feminine?” I gasp.

“This stuff is all filled with vervain,” explains Stefan. “I’m giving it to Elena so that she can give it to all the people she wants to protect. There’s a new vampire in town and until we can figure out who it is and what they want, we all need to take extra precautions.”

I deliberate for a second, deciding whether or not I should tell them who the vampire that attacked Elena is. I sigh. “His name is Matthias.”

“What?” Stefan furrows his eyebrows and Elena gives me a look of confusion.

“Matthias Verone, that’s the vamp that attacked Elena,” I repeat.

“Who is he and what does he want?” asks Elena.

“He’s a very, very old vampire. He’s malicious, vindictive and completely heartless and from what I gathered, he wants to open the tomb to free someone inside. Also, he’s Sebastian’s younger brother.”

A spark lights up in Stefan’s eyes. “I remember him now. He was in Mystic Falls, year 1864 with a couple of others. They claimed to be the Verone family but after the church was burnt, they all disappeared. I didn’t see Sebastian with him that year. Will he know what he is up to?”

“Matthias claims there is a significant someone in the tomb that he wishes to release,” I state. “And no, him and Sebastian were never close.”

“Just like how Damon wants to open the tomb,” Stefan concludes.

We both give each other a look. “We need to prevent these Damon and Matthias from crossing paths,” I say. “Although knowing Matthias, he already knows what Damon wants and he’ll be using that to his advantage.”

“We need to keep an eye on them both,” Stefan agrees.

“Now Stefan, please leave,” I demand.

He gives me a confused look.

“I came here to spend some quality girl time with Elena so unless you are secretly a girl, you should leave.”