Chapter Seventeen

“Wait, Alaric’s wife might have been your mother?” Stefan’s asks Elena.

The last couple of days were horrid. Everyone was either in a bad mood or mourning over the loss of Bonnie’s grandmother who had died because the spell was too big for her. There was an uneasy feeling in my stomach that told me some of the drama would end but more would start. That was the life in Mystic Falls. I was beginning to regret coming here. Elena had just gotten information this morning from Jenna regarding her birth mother, Isobel. She had invited Stefan and I along to try to find her.

“It can’t be true, right?” I ask. “I mean, the coincidence alone is just crazy.”

Elena finished packing her purse and she turns to us. “I have the address of her friend Trudy.”

“You want to talk to her?” Stefan asks.

“I don’t know, I–” Elena shrugs. “I–I don’t know. If they are the same person, that means that my birth mother is dead and I don’t know if I can handle that.”

I smile sympathetically at Elena.

“Elena, did Jenna tell you anything about Alaric’s wife? How she died?” Stefan asks.

“Just that she was killed and the case was never solved.”

Stefan just nods his head.

“You knew that already?” Elena asks.

Stefan swallows the lump in his throat. “The day we met at the school, when he attacked me, he mentioned some things about her… death.”

“What?”

“No, no, no, it’s not possible. The coincidence is too much.”

“Listen Elena,” I cut in. “If you do decide to go and talk to Isobel’s friend, we’ll come with you.”

I give her a quick hug and then she goes to embrace Stefan.

“I should get going, I need to go deal with Damon,” Stefan says.

“And I need to check up on Sebastian and make sure the girls aren’t intent on killing Damon for killing Matthias,” I tell them.

“How is Damon?” Elena asks.

“He’s dealing, in his own way.”

“Well tell him I’ll be back at the boarding house by tonight so he better smarten up,” I tell Stefan. “Anyways, see you all later. I’m out.”

I climb into my car and drive to Sebastian’s little house in the forest. When I knock, the door is opened by a tall, pretty brunette who smiles warmly at me.

“Alayne, it’s been a while.” Wilhelmina pulls me into a tight embrace.

“Oh Willa,” I whisper. “If I had known, I would have gotten you out immediately.”

“I know,” she smiles kindly.

“ALAYNE MIKAELSON, IS THAT YOU OUT THERE?” I hear a high pitched voice screech from inside the house. I smile inwardly to myself. It’s been over two hundred years since I’ve seen Natasha but she was still exactly the same.

“Natasha Verone!” I scream back.

The blonde girl comes running out of the house and tackles me, engulfing me in an enormous hug.

“I thought you were avoiding me for the last two hundred years!”

“Don’t be absurd! Matthias was the idiot for getting us stuck in here in the first place. He made me miss out on one hundred and forty-five years of my life!”