Author's Note and Prologue

Author's Note

Hello readers!

I’ve decided to start writing a Vampire Diaries story since I love the series so much. The storyline will follow the TV series; the only difference is the focus of the main character. The protagonist is Alayne Mikaelson and she is a completely fictional character that I made up. I may or may not write in other fictional characters, not sure what direction I’m planning to take this story in yet. Other than that, all copyright material belongs to owner. No copyright infringement intended. The sole purpose of this story is for my own personal amusement as I love writing.

---

Prologue

It was a late night and I was walking through the woods alone. I had just gone for a hunt in a neighbouring town and was on my way to a small town called Mystic Falls. My veins were coursing with energy, I had fed well. Not well enough to have killed someone but well enough to the point where I was brimming with power. My vampire senses tingled and my powers threaten to unleash itself. This always happened when I overfed but I didn’t want to go on hunting trips while trying to settle into a new town. Since I am part witch, part vampire I could typically go a couple of weeks before I started starving. Human food was usually enough to sustain me for a while but I still needed blood in my system.

As I was walking, I noticed there was an unusual amount of fog that night. That was when my vampire senses picked up on something nearby. I could tell it was another vampire and that there was a car driving on the empty road. I picked up my pace and ran to see what was about to happen.

A car drove towards to direction of Mystic Falls and I could see a couple inside. I knew they were going to make a tasty meal for the vamp that I could sense. I followed the car at a leisurely pace. The fog would make it difficult for the couple to see but I my vision was perfect. All of a sudden, I saw a silhouette flash out in front of the car and watched as the car made impact with the body.

The girl in the car was screaming as the driver swerved to the side of the road and I could hear their heartbeats pounding away in their chest. Their hearts weren’t going to be beating for much longer.

The vampire that had allowed the car to hit him was lying in the middle of the street, waiting for his prey to approach him. The driver got out of his car and made his way over to body lying in the middle of the street. I saw him checking the body for a pulse.

Silly humans, I thought, why on earth would you leave your car at this time of night in the middle of nowhere? I rolled my eyes to myself.

Quick as lightning with only the reflexes a supernatural creature could have, the vampire grabbed the man by his throat, got up and sunk his teeth in the man’s neck.

The idiot female that had been in the car with her boyfriend had gotten out of the car to tell him that her phone was dead and she couldn’t call for help. She noticed that there was no one on the street and began to panic.

“Darren!” she called out over and over again. There is no response.

Suddenly, Darren’s body fell from out of nowhere and onto the windshield of the car. The girl let out an ear piercing scream and started running in the opposite direction. I watched as the mysterious vampire swooped out of nowhere and snatched the girl from the ground. He devoured her quickly.

I chuckled to myself. Younger vampires didn’t know how to be inconspicuous or blend in. They were always causing drama.

I continued walking towards Mystic Falls. Some people are probably wondering why I walked, but when you’re as old as me, you have all the time in the world and you really learn to appreciate the small, insignificant details of life.