Chapter Twenty-Eight

I wake up to the scorching heat of a blow torch. Blinking to clear and refocus my vision, I glance around at my surroundings. Through the fire, I can see Stefan waving around the blow torch like crazy.

“Is it disintegrating?” I hear him shout.

“No not yet. She’s a tough one isn’t she?” I hear the voice of Rose speak.

My memory comes flooding back to me. They tried to kill me, those bastards! I remember how I had been distracted by Stefan and Rose and how Damon came out of nowhere and drove the stake directly into my heart. I pursed my lips, remembering the look on Damon’s face. He may have felt guilty but he still killed me. Or he thought he did anyways.

“Is she even burning?” I hear Stefan ask.

“I’m not sure.” Rose sounds uncertain.

At that moment, I realize they were really trying to get rid of me. I quickly mutter a spell to create an illusion of me actually burning and disintegrating.

“Wait, I think it’s finally working,” says Stefan. “I guess these Originals are harder to burn since they’re so old, huh?”

Rose just laughs and it is taking all my self-control to not kill her right then and there. As soon as they think my body has “burned away”, I sit up and pull the stake out of my heart. I inspect my hands and notice that my skin has returned to normal, thankfully. Quietly, I stand up and move to exit the boarding house and just as I am leaving, I see Elena arrive.

Now that the Salvatores think I am dead, I have the freedom to do whatever I can behind their backs to plot against them. I run at vampire speed for a while until I am out of town. Then, with all my charm, I convince a driver to let me “borrow” their car and I drive at top speed all the way to the closest airport. There, I compelled all the security and flight attendants to allow me on a plane to Vegas.

The warm air of Nevada hits me as soon as I am off the plane and I quickly head to one of the airport shops to pick out a new outfit. After all, there was a giant hole in my shirt where I was staked. After picking out my new clothes, I check myself out in the change room. Black tank top, white short and my usual black combat boots. I throw my hair into a messy bun and chose a pair of big sunglasses to top off my outfit. Then I go to the exit of the airport and pull out my cellphone.

“Sebastian my dear friend, where are you?” I say the second he picks up.

“Alayne? Well, well, well, have you finally become bored with my airhead sister?” I can tell Sebastian is smiling on the other end of the phone.

“Yes. So I went back to Mystic Falls, got conned into helping those townie losers find Elena, ran into my brother and then killed by my so-called friends. So I am extremely, extremely pissed off right now.”

I hear Sebastian laugh. “Hm, let me guess? You’re in Vegas for some wild partying and fun and then you’re going to go back and kill them all?”

I nearly drop my phone. “Wait, how did you know?”

“I know you, Alayne. I just know you that well.” I can hear the smirk in his voice.

“You still didn’t answer my question,” I say.

“Willa, Nate and I are currently a couple of hours away from you. We’re in Hollywood. Do you want to come join us?” asks Sebastian. “And wait, did you say you ran into your brother?”

“I can come to you guys if you want but that requires me stealing a car and possibly going on a killing spree on the way because I am extremely pissed right now,” I reply.