Chapter Twenty-Three

A/N: The picture on the side is the cast of my story ;)

---

I walk Elena back to her house with her to check on her brother. Earlier, we had received a call from Matt saying that Caroline was having a surgery in the hospital. Tyler had been driving when the vampire weapon went off and it seemed to have affected him which resulted in them being in a car accident.

“I’ve been looking everywhere for my things,” Elena says. “But I’m pretty sure someone took them.”

“We have a thief in Mystic Falls, so much trouble compared to what we just went through,” I say sarcastically.

Elena rolls her eyes at me and unlocks the front door to her house.

The scent hits me immediately.

I can smell the blood and it is fresh. Thankfully, I’m one of those vampires that are capable of controlling my thirst.

“Jeremy?” Elena calls up there stairs.

“Elena,” I say. She glances at me curiously. “Stay close to me.”

“What?”

“I smell blood.”

Elena automatically takes a step closer to me, her face showing slight fear. There is a grunt and the sound of something falling in the kitchen and I rush in.

John Gilbert is lying on the kitchen floor surrounded by a pool of blood.

“Oh my god,” whispers Elena. She rushes over and tries to stop the blood flow.

“Call 911,” I say to Elena. John is looking at something fearfully behind me and I whip around quickly, catching a glimpse of his attacker right before she disappears. I don’t bother following her, there was no point.

Elena looks up at me, still trying to stem the blood flow. “They ambulance is on the way.”

“You stay here with him; I’ll go check on Jeremy.”

I quickly jog upstairs to Jeremy’s bedroom and swing the door open without knocking, which was a mistake. Jeremy and Anna were fully making out on his bed and they were both topless.

“My eyes!” I screech as I stumble over my feet, trying to get away from them.

Anna squeals as she tries to quickly pull on a shirt and Jeremy glares at me.

“This is why you’re supposed to knock.”

“Teenager hormones,” I mutter under my breath. “Getting out of control.”

“Well maybe if you didn’t just barge in here, you could have avoided that,” Jeremy retorts. “What do you want anyways? We’re busy.”

“Elena wanted me to check on you,” I say, ignoring the ‘We’re busy’ comment. “While you two were busy making out, John had a little accident with a knife in the kitchen.”

“What?” yelps Jeremy. “What happened?”

“He was stabbed, Elena called 911 already and the ambulance is already on the way,” I explain. “Anna, could I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure.” She gives Jeremy a quick kiss before stepping out to join me in the hallway. “What’s going on?”

“I got a call from a friend,” I say. “He said Katherine was on her way to Mystic Falls.”

“What?!”

“Yeah, I don’t know why she’s coming but Katherine never brings good news,” I sigh. “And I can confirm she’s here already because I caught a glimpse of her running off.”