Chapter 51

Can I just catch a break? I think to myself. I just want a simple life now, without any drama!

"Why is he back?" I try to keep my voice steady even though my heart is racing. I attempt to pour another glass of wine, but the bottle is empty.

"For you, among other things." She never takes her eyes off me. I keep my face neutral. She stares at me like she is trying to look into my soul to see how I'm really reacting to the news that Charlie is back in London after all these months.

"I'm going to need another drink before this conversation goes any further." I go to stand up, but Sarah rests her hand on my forearm and gestures for me to sit back down.

"Andy..." She shouts over to him, but he's deep in conversation with Jeremy. "Andy..." She shouts louder and he finally looks over at her. She holds up the empty bottle of wine towards him and raises her eyebrows. Andy nods and mockingly salutes her as he stands up. She blows him a kiss before he turns away and mouths thank you.

"He's so well trained." I joke with her.

"Treats... treats and rewards are the key with training." She winks at me and we both giggle like school girls.

Caroline has her arms folded impatiently. She's clearly waiting to continue the story of her little bombshell. To be honest I would rather not hear all of this now, but she will be like a dog with a bone until she tells us the whole story.

I may as well get it over with.

"OK Caroline. What do you mean, he's back for me?" Thankfully Andy puts an ice cold bottle of Pinot Grigio in front of me, which I immediately pick up. "Thanks Andy, you're a life saver." I say to him as I fill our glasses.

"You're very welcome." He smiles warmly at me, but I watch as his face lights up when he makes eye contact with Sarah. It melts my heart how crazy they are about each other and if I'm completely honest, I'm a little jealous. Well, I'm a lot jealous - that was me not so long ago. I can feel the sting of tears in my eyes and I take a second to compose myself.

"Well..." Caroline says dramatically bringing me back to the conversation at hand. "Yesterday afternoon Charlie just strolled into the gallery. After months of nothing. After what happened in L.A he hasn't spoken to me or Sarah either, so I was speechless..." Sarah bursts out laughing, stopping Caroline from talking.

"For the first time ever." I say to Sarah and Caroline slaps my arm.

"Stop avoiding the conversation Lizzie." She firmly scolds me.

"Sorry, please continue." I take another gulp of my wine.

"So... he turned up and went to hug me. I stood back and folded my arms at him. No way was he just showing up and expecting things to be normal between us. He looked amazing by the way. He said he was so sorry about not being in touch, but was embarrassed about what had happened. Said he couldn't face any of us after how he had behaved."

I nod in agreement with her, vividly remembering that night. I try to push it away but I can't stop the image of Daniel coming to the front of my mind. The look in his eyes when he thought I had chosen Charlie over him, how he said he was falling in love with me. Oh God, he said I could trust him... he said I could count on him. My heart stills in my chest and a fresh wave of misery hits me like a tsunami.

"Have you heard a word I've just said? ... Lizzie?" Caroline waves her hand in front of my face. "Did you hear what I said?"

"Sorry Caroline, I spaced out then. What did you say?" I finish my glass of wine.

"I was saying that I met him for dinner as I couldn't really talk in the gallery. He explained that he didn't regret telling you how he felt, but he is truly mortified by how he went about it. I held my hands up and said I didn't help the situation. I said I'd encouraged him when really I should have talked to you about it first. Oh Lizzie, he just wants you to know that he thought he'd got all the time in the world to tell you how he felt. Then all of a sudden we're telling him that you were off to Paris with Daniel and he couldn't do anything about it because he was the other side of the world. He explained that he just couldn't handle seeing you with Daniel in L.A and he lost the plot."

"Lost the plot?" I ask dramatically. "He tried to kiss me after I had told him I didn't feel the same." It makes me angry just thinking about it again.

"I know he fucked up, but you guys we're really good friends way before that night. I, for one, miss him being a part of our lives." Sarah shrugs and finishes her glass of wine.

I nod. "We were and I miss him too."

"I said I would let you know he was back and he asked that you call him if you're ready to talk to him. He said he needs you in his life, in whatever form."

"I'll call him tomorrow. I don't need anymore drama in my life, so would love to put it all behind us and see if we could be friends again."

"He said didn't want to call you because he didn't want to cause trouble for you and Daniel. He had no idea what had happened. I haven't told him much, just that you weren't together anymore." She smiles sadly at me.

"OK, I will call him... I promise."

"You never know how you might feel when you see him again..." Sarah says with a grin and I shake my head at her in disbelief.

- hey guys. Thank you for still reading! Just reached 5,000 reads so thank you so much, you have no idea how much it means to me.

Please let me know what you think of this chapter and please tick the little star -