Chapter 59

Caroline is waiting for me on the street when Lawrence pulls over. I watch her intently as about a million emotions wash over her face, from worry through to elation when she realises who I'm with. As the windows are dark, she can't see in to the car so she just has to wait for me to get out.

Knowing her so well, I can see that the anticipation of why we're together is killing her. She raises her hands to her face and bites her nail. I keep looking at her knowing that I don't want to see the expression on Daniel's face.

I'm trembling all over as I reach for the door handle, knowing that our time is over. I feel as though all the oxygen has been sucked out of my lungs when I turn to look at him. The love of my life has just saved me and now I have to say goodbye... again. I have to try to move on... again. Why is this so damn hard?

"Thank you again." I say after clearing my throat. My voice is a little higher than I intended but I'm glad I've managed to mask how I really feel.

Daniel doesn't even look at me, his eyes remain on the floor. He nods at my words and I know that this is it. Time is up. He obviously doesn't want to talk to me anymore. I pull down the handle, open the door and step out. The cold air stings against my burning cheeks.

Caroline immediately steps towards me. Her face is unreadable. But, she must be able to see that I'm barely holding on because she hugs me tightly.

"You ok Lizzie. What's happened?" She looks into the car to Daniel as she speaks and her eyes widen at the sight of him. She looks at him up and down. Then her eyes focus on his bloodied face. Her hand covers her mouth, realising what must have happened. The happiness that was in her eyes when we first pulled over is now replaced with dread.

"I'm OK. I'll fill you in properly later. But, basically Ed showed up. Daniel protected me but he got hurt doing it." I sound much calmer than I feel.

"I said I'm fine." Daniel speaks softly. I jump because I didn't realise he had also stepped out of the car and was standing right behind me.

Caroline looks at Daniel strangely. "Daniel. Do you want to come in, get cleaned up? I think your face is going to need stitches though?" She winces as she studies his wound.

Daniel rolls his eyes, but I nod in agreement.

"He's booked in with a doctor in..." I look at my watch and then to Daniel. "Fifteen minutes. You should go if you're going to make your awards thing."

"I know." He smiles sadly. "Thanks for the offer though, Caroline."

"Thank you for looking after her." She reaches out and rests her hand on his arm.

Daniel swallows loudly, like he is not sure what to say. "It really was my pleasure." Daniel then grins devilishly and Caroline beams back at him.

"Daniel, we've really got to go." Lawrence shouts through the open window.

Caroline retreats away from us, giving us some space. "Bye, Daniel."

"Bye, Caroline." He says before his eyes rest on me. "I meant what I said, I won't ever let him touch you again."

I don't trust myself to speak, so I just look up at him. I'm not sure when I'll see him again, other than on my TV. So I take the final chance to swim in his ocean blue eyes. He puts a stray hair gently behind my ear and I sense that he is going to explain why he broke my heart. I'm not sure if it will help with the pain, or even if we could try to make it work, but I feel ready to know.

"I better go." He says and steps away from me. His action brings me back to the present and I suddenly feel as though the lid I've kept on my emotions has been ripped off.

"That's it?" I say angrily and my tone startles him. "You were so desperate to talk to me a few weeks ago, to explain... now you're just leaving." My voice cracks a little as I roughly wipe a single tear that has escaped.

He looks at me like a lost little boy. "I got nothing Lizzie." He says quietly.

"What does that even mean?" I say in frustration.

"I don't have a good enough reason for what I did. I can't even put it into fucking words why I ended us. I don't even know myself. I mean, I do... but I won't be able to say it properly. I won't be able to explain it right. Fuck sake Lizzie, I'm just not worthy of you... I just... fuck me. It's too hard, seeing you tonight, finally seeing that bastard tonight. What he put you through, but then what I've put you through. It's made me realise-" Daniel cuts off his rambling and looks over my head as the tears roll down my cheeks. His face hardens and he uses the palms of his hands to wipe at his face. The blood on his cheek is smeared even further across his cheeks.

I have no idea what he's looking at, so I turn around. Charlie is walking down the steps from Caroline's flat. He looks solemnly at us as he stands next to Caroline. His hands are firmly placed in his pockets.

Daniel looks at his watch. "Shit. I really got to go." He then gently strokes my cheek and for a split second I lean into him. I let the warmth of his hand spread across my body and close my eyes. His touch is then gone as he pulls away and I'm back in the cold.

"Please don't go." I whisper.

"I should go. For what it's worth, I understand." He then gets into the car and closes the door behind him without looking back.

I'm so confused by what he's just said. But I feel arms around me and Charlie presses my head against his chest. I watch as the car begins to roll away, but then I look up. Charlie has a smirk on his face while he watches the car pull off.

He thinks we're together, I realise. I push away from Charlie towards the car. I run down the street and bang the window. Lawrence stops the car and Daniel opens the window.

"It's not what you think. I'm not with Charlie. I'm not with anyone." I'm not sure what reaction I expect, but he just looks at me sadly.

"Yet... You deserve to be happy, Lizzie. I want you to be happy." He says in a strained voice, nods towards Lawrence and then he begins to drive away.

"I was happy." I shout at the car, but I'm not sure if he can even hear me over the sound of the engine.

- hey. What do you think of this chapter?

Charlie hasn't helped the situation, has he?

Please let me know what you think!

Please tick the little star too. Thanks guys, you're all amazing!

Only a few more chapters now -