Chapter 38

I must fall asleep at some point in the early hours because I'm woken by Caroline opening the curtains. She sits on the end of the bed and hands me a cup of tea.

The pain hits me with its full force again when I realise that it wasn't all just a terrible nightmare.

"It's still really early sweetie, but we need to talk." I can see that Sarah is already up and I know I cannot hide from all of this anymore. Caroline has already made it clear to Daniel that he needed to give me the day... now that day has gone. I nod back at her.

I follow her into the lounge and Sarah is already sitting down. She pats the settee next to her and I take my seat while sipping my tea. My body aches so much more today. I know from experience that it will get a lot worse before it gets any better.

"Before you start, I know I have to deal with this. I know I have to hear him out. But I'm still not sure I'm ready." Sarah puts her arm around me.

"I think you should tell him to bollocks until you're ready. Fuck him, you need to be ready to hear him out. If you're not... you're not." Sarah shrugs at the last comment and I love how black and white everything is for her.

"I get what you're saying Sarah but I've spoken to Daniel several times already today. He's still adamant he's been set up."

I have no idea how to process this, it's just the same as yesterday.

"He's explained things to me and... I believe him." I look down at my hands. "Look at me!" She snaps at me and I look at her. "He's on his way over."

"No!" I scream. "I don't want him here yet."

"He's telling the truth. You have to speak to him, listen to him and sort this out. He also has the right to know about what happened to you ... about Ed."

"No fucking way. He wasn't there when I needed him. He was with her. He promised..." I collapse onto Caroline with a sob. The real reason I'm hurting is pouring out of me. I know it's stupid, I know I'm being unreasonable – I'm the one who lied and told him to go. I know it's all my fault and not his; but part of me, deep down, blames him for not protecting me when he promised he would. Caroline lets me cry it all out and chooses her moment carefully.

"What happened was not Daniel's fault hun. He genuinely thought you were safe with me. You know in your heart that he would never have left you for a second if he thought you were going to be on your own."

"I know ... I know." I have to let go of this unfair rage I feel because I know she is completely right.

"I've got to go to work, but if you're not ready to tell him about that mother fucker then don't do it. Just hear him out and then decide. OK? There is no pressure on you. You hear that Caroline? I know you're team Daniel, but there is no rush." Sarah hugs us both and then she's out the door.

I hear Caroline's phone ringing. She passes it to me and I see Helen's name.

"Hi Helen."

"Hi Lizzie. I'm just calling to say that everything is fine at work so you better not even think about coming in today. OK?"

"You sure?" I'm kind of hoping that there is some big emergency so I won't have to face Daniel.

"Of course. How are feeling?"

"OK." I lie easily.

"Lizzie, we can talk when you're ready. For now, just rest. I will check on you later. Bye."

"Thanks, bye Helen."

I turn to look at Caroline. "How long have I got?"

"About half an hour."