Chapter 44

After a relentless week at work, we are finally ready to board our flight to Dubai.

Daniel eyes me curiously as I drag my heavy suitcase into the hallway. He raises his one eyebrow at me when I struggle to make it stand up. It falls over for the third time, so I just decide to lean against it and smile sweetly at him.

"You do remember this is for five nights right?"

"Yep. And..."

"Not five weeks?"

I roll my eyes at him, ignoring his question. He marches over and frustratingly makes it balance first time. He's dressed in black chino shorts, a white tshirt and a comfy grey hoodie.

His phone beeps and he looks at it. "Lawrence is here. I better take your case, hadn't I?" I stand back and gesture for him to step past me with both cases. We walk out into the crisp autumnal air. I'm wearing fitted jeans, a red flowery off the shoulder top and my lightweight brown leather jacket. I've added a pair of low wedges to finish the look. I know I'm dressed a little too summery for the UK and I shiver as I walk to the waiting car. But thankfully we will be at the airport soon and off to the sun.

"Hey Lawrence." I beam at him.

"Hello Lizzie. How are you?" He smiles warmly back at me.

"I'm well thank you. You and you're family well?" I get into the car and Laurence closes the door behind me.

Lawrence gets into the driver's seat. "We are well thank you for asking. Other than they have discovered boys!"

Daniel lets out a hearty laugh. "Oh mate, now the trouble starts." Laurence shakes his head. Conversation flows easily between them as usual and I relax into the seat.

The closer we get to Heathrow airport, the more agitated Daniel becomes. My hand is resting on top of his while he holds my thigh and I squeeze it gently. He's biting his thumb nail. He looks up at me and I smile.

"It will be OK."

"I hate this bit. It never used to bother me, I was totally used to it. Lucy used to crave it when we were together too. But being with you has made me realise just how crazy it is that I can't walk into a fucking airport without being mobbed."

"I'm glad being with me has given you a reality check because... well, it is crazy." I laugh to lighten the mood, but it doesn't work.

"They know we're coming this time and with you officially attending with me, they will be all over us. On top of that the divorce hearing is in two weeks..." He shakes his head unable to finish the sentence.

"It's easy really." I mimic what he told me all those months ago on our way to L.A. "Just keep walking. Don't react to anything they say and don't let go of my hand. You hear me Daniel? Don't let go of my hand." I grin at him and he bursts out laughing. His eyes wrinkle at the sides and his dimples are fully exposed. I lean towards him and kiss him gently. "Seriously though, we just need to keep walking, whatever they ask you."

Lawrence pulls over and is out of the car first to deal with our luggage.

"Fuck me." He comments as I'm zipping up my handbag after texting the girls to say we're at the airport. I look over to where his eyes are fixated and my eyes widen. There must be at least fifty people out there, waiting. This time I feel apprehensive but not as panicked by the hoard of waiting press and female fans.

Daniel looks completely drained and I want to reassure him that we can handle this. "Right... game face on." I smile at him, but he just looks exhausted. "Show me..." I stroke the side of his face and then watch as his features change into his completely false movie star smile. "That's it. You ignore any questions about Lucy, we keep walking and then it's over. OK?" I let out a shaky breath and nod more to myself than to him. "I love you."