Chapter 17

The next thing I know my alarm is beeping and I'm dragged out of my usual nightmare clutching the sheets tightly. I shake the nightmare away and reluctantly get up. I look awful. I'm not sure how much sleep I got, but it can't have been more than a couple of hours. I shower and do my hair in soft curls in an attempt to look half decent. I decide on a tight knee length cream skirt with a loose silk navy blue vest top. The sun cascades through the huge windows, bathing the room in golden sunlight. I glance towards the Eiffel Tower and try to shake my fears from last night.

Right on cue at 8am Daniel knocks my door. "Morning." I say cheerfully, trying to hide the hurt I feel. Daniel steps in without a word and kisses me softly. It takes me completely by surprise and I'm left lightheaded. He steps back and looks at me solemnly.

"Sorry about last night, but I really think I did the right thing. It killed me to walk away from you, but it was the right thing to do." He repeats and nods to himself. Just standing there watching him look so uneasy, makes all of my fears disappear. I walk past him into the corridor.

"Well I don't think it was the right thing at all." I joke, but carry on walking to the lift. I hear him chuckle as he follows behind.

We have breakfast in a stunning little side street cafe and conversation flows freely. "We we're on the gossip sites again last night you know?"

He looks furious and swallows down a lump of croissant. "Like I said before, I avoid it all now. I've learnt my lesson there. Some people just say things to be cruel and I hate that's fact that there is nothing you can do about it."

"I didn't read the comments, just looked at the pictures on there. They were of us, watching the fireworks!"

"What? For fuck sake! I'm so sorry, this is all my fault. This is such an invasion of your privacy. If I were just a normal guy with a normal job, then we would be free to do what we want without the bastard paps following us." His jaw is set in a hardline. "You ok?"

"Course I'm OK and as for any nasty things said about me, they are just jealous because I'm here with you. Don't know why they would be jealous though, I mean look at you!" I pretend to look disgusted and Daniel throws an empty sugar sachet at me. It has done the trick though and has lightened the mood. I lift my phone to show him the picture of us from last night watching the fireworks.

"Send that to me please, that's going to be my new background picture on my phone."

After breakfast we walk hand in hand through the Parisian streets. I don't really care if the press are hiding to take pictures of us, I feel on top of the world. We head to Pont de L'Archeveche which Daniel tells me is also known as 'love lock' bridge. I recall seeing it in a magazine, but nothing prepared me for the sheer number of padlocks.

I wonder where we are going to buy a padlock from. However, reading my mind, Daniel pulls a padlock and marker out of his pocket and grins at me. "Got the receptionist to get these for us when I couldn't sleep this morning." He smiles as he pulls the pen top off with his mouth. I laugh and lean over to watch him write L&D at the top and today's date at the bottom. He passes the open padlock to me and I find a space to attach it to the railing while Daniel takes photographs of me.

Once it is locked onto the bridge he places the key in my hand and then cups my hand with his. "Make a wish." He tells me and I close my eyes. I smile as I wish for us to find a way to make this work. I open my eyes and Daniel nods. I count to three and we throw the key into the river Seine just before Daniel's lips find mine.

We find a café and share a bottle of wine. We both quietly watch the world go by. I'm completely at peace sitting in the glorious sunshine with a glass of cold white wine next to Daniel. It's not long before he is approached by a group of very attractive women to have their pictures taken with him. He looks at me regretfully. "Its fine." I say and carry on drinking my wine.