Chapter 22

I quietly walk around the outside of the crowd that horde around Daniel and I can just about see him at the centre of the madness. I see a man at the exit holding up a 'Cooper' sign and I cannot help but smile as I introduce myself and stand next to him waiting patiently for Daniel to finish.

"We could be here a while Miss." I smile and nod in agreement at the young driver with his relaxed American accent.

A few minutes later I can vaguely hear Daniel calling my name. I try to shout, but my voice is drowned out by the noise of the crowd. I watch him intently as his eyes scan the group around him looking for me. When he realises that I'm not with him I can see the alarm in his eyes and he starts to walk more quickly. I hear him as he closes the gap between us apologising to the people around him saying that he must go now and thanking them for their support. I try and make myself known to him so that he doesn't have to worry. The crowd begins to disperse as he starts to march towards the exit and his finally eyes lock with mine. I can visibly see the relief in his face as we grin at each other. Daniel points to the exit, so I make my way to the car with our driver, escaping into the calm of the L.A. heat.

Daniel is soon next to me and kisses me before the door closes. I am again blinded by the camera flashes before the door slams shut. We speed away from the airport and both exhale deeply.

"I'm sorry for losing you, but I told you not to let go of my hand." It's the first time that Daniel has scorned me, but I know it was my fault we got separated.

"I know and I'm sorry, but I felt bad for-" Daniel cuts me off by turning my face towards him so that he can see the redness on my cheekbone. I had forgotten about it because the sharp throbbing is now just a dull ache. I jump in before he has the chance to ask me. "It's nothing. A girl got a bit excited and accidentally elbowed me in the face when we got separated. I'm fine, honestly." I smile, but Daniel turns my cheek into the light to have a better look.

"For fuck sake Lizzie, that's going to bruise. What were you thinking? I told you to keep hold of my hand." I pull out my compact mirror and study the mark on my face.

"Like I said I'm fine and it won't bruise."

"How could you possibly know that?"

"I just know Daniel. It'll be red for the rest of the day and then it will fade. Trust me." I know I've said too much. "Look it was just an accident, these things happen." Daniel runs his hands through his hair in frustration.

"I said I would protect you and what a fucking mess I've made of that in the space of one day." He looks at my cheek again. "I'm sorry Lizzie and I give you my word that it will not happen again." I try to kiss him to show him that I'm completely fine, but he dodges my lips and instead kisses my throbbing cheek gently and sits back in his seat. I can feel the anger radiating from him while he sits there completely motionless. I have never seen him like this and I'm a little scared that I will say the wrong thing.

While we make our way towards our hotel I decide that I will not allow my fear to get the better of me and I engage Daniel in general chat about L.A. and ask lots of questions. It seems to do the trick and by the time we pull up at our hotel he is back to normal, except each time he looks at my cheek I see him wince a little. I will have to make sure I cover it properly while it's still red and I know I won't have a problem with doing that.

Again I'm completely blown away by the hotel. I gawp up at the stunning building against the window and Daniel leans over onto me to look too.

"I love watching you see things for the first time. So you like it?" He kisses the side of my neck and I close my eyes. Surprisingly, I couldn't care less about the view anymore and my body shivers in response. He smirks knowing the effect that he has on me.