Chapter 54

Just before I'm ready to leave I head to the bathroom to reapply my makeup. Once I've finished I smooth down my fitted deep purple lace skirt and tuck in my silky grey blouse.

As I brush my hair in the ornate gold mirror I take a second to look at myself. The woman staring back at me has come such a long way over the last twelve months, she's an entirely different person. But somehow she's still ended up completely alone.

"No more feeling sorry for yourself." I say firmly to my reflection. "It's time to dust yourself off Lizzie and get back up." I apply one more coat of lip gloss and pout my lips before striding back into my office to grab my coat and bag.

Once I'm ready to head out I knock Helen's door.

"I'm just leaving Helen, will see you Monday. Have a good weekend." I smile at her as I wrap my huge scarf around me.

"You too Lizzie. Weather looks absolutely awful out there." I look out her window at the heavy downpour and raise my umbrella to show her that I'm prepared while I walk away.

I open my umbrella while I'm still under cover and grimace at the sheeting rain. There is no point waiting for it to stop as the sky looks heavy and ominous. So I reluctantly step out into the winter storm and make my way to the restaurant to meet Charlie.

As soon as I turn the corner I see him. He's waiting under the canopy outside the restaurant with his formal black coat buttoned all the way up under his chin. His hair is cut shorter than the last time I saw him and he has a deep tan from spending the last six months in the sunshine. What is unmistakable is that he looks just as handsome as ever.

I'm not sure what I expect to feel when I see him ... nervous, anger, love, hate, lust?

He hasn't seen me yet as everyone is carrying umbrellas, so I blend into the crowd. I take the opportunity to process my emotions and all I feel at the moment is excitement that I could finally have Charlie back in my life again.

When I'm about ten steps away from him he sees me dodging a deep puddle in my very impractical patent black heels. His face immediately lights up and he beams at me. I find myself grinning back at him.

"Hey Charlie." I say as I get closer. I'm not sure how to greet him anymore. Six months ago I would have not hesitated to kiss his cheek and hug him, but now I don't know what to do.

Charlie doesn't seem to have the same trouble as me though. "God Lizzie, it's good to see you." He pulls me into a hug and holds me tight against him. I relax into his familiar embrace and notice that he's a lot more muscly than the last time I saw him.

"Let's get out of the rain." I nod towards the entrance and he reluctantly pulls away from me. We then make our way into the restaurant. Charlie opens the door for me and gestures for me to step through first.

I know this place well and love the relaxed and traditional Italian setting. Our table is a little in from the window facing out onto the street. The waiter takes our coats and my umbrella. Charlie then cuts in front of the waiter to hold out my chair. I take my seat facing the window and can see the rain is still lashing the pavement. Charlie then confidently walks round to his side of the table.

"Can I get you any drinks?" The waiter asks as he hands us both a menu.

"Glass of Pinot Grigio please, large." I smile and begin to look at the menu. I always look, even though I know exactly what I'll be ordering.

"Vodka and Diet Coke please." Charlie starts to look at the menu too.

Once the waiter has gone I can sense that Charlie is picking up the courage to say something. I wish that wine would hurry up, I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

He clears his throat dramatically. "OK..." He says this more to himself than to me. "I've rehearsed this speech over and over for the last six months and now it's come to actually saying it to you, I can't remember a fucking word of it." He blushes slightly.

"Charlie..." I begin just at the waiter returns with our drinks.

"You ready for me to take your order?" He asks politely.

We both nod at each other.

"I will have spaghetti carbonara with a side of garlic bread please?" Charlie laughs at my order. "What?" I ask him, genuinely confused.

"Nothing." He shakes his head. "I'll just have a plain chicken salad please."

"You're ordering what? In an Italian? What have you done with the real Charlie?" I ridicule him dramatically.

"I'm on a strict diet I'll have you know." He looks at me seriously and I burst out laughing. The waiter begins to walk away, but then Charlie reaches out to him. "She's such a bad influence... Can I get the lasagne and I'll have garlic bread on the side too thanks mate." Charlie looks back at me, frowning. "Do not ever tell my personal trainer about this."

I cross my heart and smile innocently. "Promise."

"So where were we?" Charlie picks up his vodka and diet coke and takes a long drink. I take this silence to have a huge gulp of wine, hoping it will help.

"I think you were about to apologise." I shrug and grin at him.

"You're absolutely right." He reaches across the table and takes both of my hands in his. "Lizzie, I'm truly sorry for my behaviour in L.A. It was completely uncalled for and I guess I just lost my shit..."

Charlie is about to continue but I glance past him, out of the window onto the rainy street. I let go of Charlie's hands when I think I see Daniel standing on the pavement with a black hoodie pulled up over his head. The figure is looking into the restaurant, just standing perfectly still in the beating rain while everyone else rushes around him.

I shoot up from the chair and make my way towards the window. A woman walks across my path. "Excuse me." I say as I wriggle past her.

When I look back up, the figure is gone. I rush to the door and step out into the rain and look up and down the street, but there is no sign of him at all. I feel as though I cannot breathe, that all the oxygen has been sucked from me. My heart pounds relentlessly in my chest as Charlie runs out onto the street behind me.

"You OK? What did you see?" He asks as he turns me to face him. His dark brown eyes are full of concern.

I can't answer him. I don't know if that was Daniel or I really am losing my mind. Charlie puts his arm around me and I rest my head against his chest as we walk back into the restaurant.

- so, what do you think of this chapter?

Do you think it was really Daniel?

What do you think Charlie is about to tell her?

Can't wait to read your comments and please tick the little star -