Chapter 58

I watch Daniel stand and I stare at him wide eyed. My heart feels like it could beat out of my chest just at the sight of him. He runs his hands through his hair and looks from Ed over to me. I witness his features soften as meets my gaze.

Daniel smiles sadly and takes one final look at Ed before he begins to walk towards me. He briefly closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose as if he is composing himself. I wait for him to approach me, my emotions are somewhere between anticipation and desperation.

Ed still cowers on the floor until he realises that Daniel is walking away. I watch in slow motion as Ed quickly gets up once Daniel has turned his back. He then begins to run at Daniel from behind, like the coward that he is.

"Daniel, watch out!" I scream, but it's too late.

I witness Ed tackle Daniel to the ground and they scuffle on the floor. Ed has the upper hand because of taking Daniel by surprise. I attempt to run forward to separate them, but Lawrence holds me back. I try to wriggle to get out of his grip, but he just holds me tighter.

I see Ed connect his fist to Daniel's eye, splitting his eyebrow open painfully. Ed continues to punch Daniel in a frenzied attack, but somehow Daniel manages to use it to his advantage. I'm so grateful that Daniel has had so much combat training because he is able to block the majority of the blows and find the right moment to strike back.

Daniel lands a blow on Ed's jaw and he slumps backwards. Finally, Daniel is on top of Ed. He straddles himself across him, landing punch after punch. Ed's face turns into a bloody mess beneath Daniel.

Exhausted, Daniel leans back and wipes the sweat off his brow with the back of his hand. His chest is heaving, like he cannot inhale enough oxygen. He then stands up on wobbly legs and rests his hands on his knees.

Ed kicks out violently at Daniel, connecting with his legs. Daniel cries out and almost falls over, but quickly regains his balance. In response he then begins to kick Ed in the stomach while he still lies on the ground.

"This is for every time you hurt her, you bastard." Daniel spits out as he continues to lash out. Ed curls up in a ball and makes no attempt to fight back.

Lawrence releases me and runs over to Daniel. He gently rests his hand on Daniel's shoulder.

"Enough... enough now." Lawrence speaks firmly, but makes no attempt to physically stop him.

I watch Daniel's shoulders slump a little as he turns to look at Lawrence. He slowly nods and takes a step back away from Ed. Lawrence removes his hand and walks back to the car. He smiles tightly at me and then leans into the car to get his phone.

Ed rolls around dramatically on the floor, but I don't hardly notice him. Daniel begins to walk towards me, but then freezes before turning back to look at Ed.

"I meant what I said. You show up again and I will make sure everything is disclosed to the police. You will go to prison for a very long time. But prison would be the least of your worries because I assure you... if you come near her again, then I will end you."

Daniel then strides towards me, my knight in shining armour. He takes me in his arms. I don't fight him, I just bury my head into his chest. I can feel him trembling as the adrenaline leaves his body.

"Thank you." I whisper into him as he holds me tightly against him.

"You're welcome." He whispers back.

I feel like I am finally home again in his arms, breathing in his familiar scent. I allow myself to feel whole and protected for a few minutes before I force myself to regain my composure and pull away.