Chapter 7

It may be wishful thinking, but his eyes seem to light up when he catches sight of me walking down my steps. Come on Lizzie I say to myself as I take a few deep breaths to calm myself down.

"Hi Daniel." I say with a little more enthusiasm than I intended. I suddenly regret the three glasses of wine I had this afternoon.

"Hello Lizzie, you look beautiful." I can feel my cheeks redden as he takes a step towards me and kisses my cheek.

When his lips connect with my cheek my entire body vibrates at his gentle touch. The brush of his lips only lasts a second, but I can still feel the heat when he pulls away. I cannot seem to catch my breath while he pauses a few inches from my face. I think he is going to kiss me and my body aches for it, but my head tells me to take a step back to diffuse the tension. I'm frozen in place, torn between my head and my heart, terrified of what will happen either way. I'm not sure if the fear is written all over my face because he gently smiles and opens the taxi door.

"After you my lady." He says and winks at me.

"Why thank you kind Sir." I laugh and climb into the taxi. He sits next to me and his scent fills my senses, intoxicating me. I close my eyes struggling with how I feel and silently wish I was still at home in my PJs watching TV, bored but safe in my surroundings. I'm completely out of my depth. When I open my eyes Daniel is looking curiously at me. I smile at him, which he immediately reciprocates. My head spins a little with just how handsome he looks in the fading glow of the sun.

"Where are we going?"

"Just to a pub." He answers casually with a shrug. I'm relieved that he appears to have taken the whole friends thing onboard, but I immediately feel disappointed, which confuses me even more. Over the last two years I've always had my emotions completely in check at all times and now I feel a little lost. For the second time in the space of twenty minutes I have to remind myself to pull it together.

As the taxi weaves through the traffic, Daniel turns towards me. "I thought it would be nice to go somewhere where we can relax, chat and get to know each other. I know some pubs where I don't usually get too harassed." Daniel pauses as if gathering his thoughts. "Don't get me wrong, I love my fans. I owe them everything and I will always make time for them. But I wanted tonight just to be about us." I cannot help but grin at his words. "You have the most captivating smile Lizzie." Daniel says as if it were a matter of fact. I look down and play with my bracelet, unable to accept the compliment.

The taxi pulls over and Daniel hands over a lot more than the fare. "Keep the change mate." A group of women on a night out walk past us and they all double take at Daniel. We begin to walk away as they whisper between themselves as if trying to work out if it really is him. I see their faces light up as they agree that it is, giggling uncontrollably. Daniel is completely unfazed, but I stifle a laugh because twenty-four hours ago that would have been me. This is all so surreal, but I make the decision there and then to just live in the moment and enjoy myself, even if it is just for tonight.

Daniel leads me through the side streets and we enter a traditional pub. He heads straight to the back and grabs a table. I follow him and take off my jacket. I sit facing all of the other tables, so that Daniel can sit with his back to everyone and hopefully go unnoticed. "What would you like to drink?"

"Gin and tonic please." Daniel saunters to the bar and I watch his easy grace as he moves. He is dressed in fitted dark jeans, worn converse with a light grey shirt, folded to his elbows. I take in the sight of him and he must sense me watching because he turns to me and smiles which gives me goose-bumps. The barmaid flirts shamelessly with him, but although he is polite I notice that his gaze returns to me at every opportunity.