Chapter 20

I run in the early morning sunshine feeling fresher and more alert than I have in months. When I walk back into my flat my phone beeps and I see a picture message from Charlie. I look at the picture and it's of Charlie with a very attractive woman, whose face is familiar. She must be an actress or a model or something like that. It's clear from their body language that they are intimate, but there is no text with the picture. I'm not sure if it has been sent to be my mistake.

Hi Charlie. How are things in L.A? Not sure if you meant to send me that pic, but she looks lovely. Hope you're well. X

I do not hear back from him, which isn't like him.

It's only 7.30am when I get into work, but Helen is already there. "Morning, you got a minute?" I ask popping my head round her office door.

"Morning Lizzie, yes of course." She smiles at me and leans back in her seat.

"Daniel has asked me to go with him to L.A. on Saturday while he does some reshoots, so could I book a couple of days off next week?" Helen immediately beams at me and claps her hands excitedly.

"Take the week! You're the hardest working person here and you've landed us some big campaigns, so as I've said to you several times over the last few months, you deserve a break." I'm so happy that this is actually happening.

"Thanks Helen, I really appreciate it." I turn to walk out of her office.

"Lizzie?" she calls and I put my head back round the door.

"Yes?"

"Since you've worked here, you've always looked so sad. I know the basics of what happened and I understand, but you have been watching life pass you by because it was safer. But since you have met Daniel, there is a light in your eyes and it really is beautiful to see." We hug and I leave the room without another word before the lump in my throat has the chance to rise up.

I sit back at my desk and there is a message on my phone that makes me smile.

Hope your parents approved. Let me know if I can book the flights. D x

I type enthusiastically full of excitement.

Morning. They were horrified - Only joking! Yes I'm coming with you to L.A – cannot wait. L xxx

My phone flashes almost immediately.

Glad you're joking, don't see how they could be horrified – what's not to love?!? Perfect about the flights, will get them booked. D x

I laugh and type enthusiastically.

Nice ego Mr Weston. L xxx

That evening my best friends descend on me and I fill them in on everything that has happened over several glasses of wine. We all agree that I need to do some serious shopping over the next few days. It turns out that we all have plans this weekend. Caroline is going to Italy with Jeremy for a week and Sarah has agreed to go to the wedding of one of Andy's friends in the Cotswolds and they are planning on staying on for a few days after. I'm so pleased that Sarah has finally met someone that she is willing to try and settle down with. As much as we plead with her to let us meet him, she said she's not ready until she is sure about him. We make a deal that we can meet him once we are all back from our little holidays. By the end of the night I know I've ordered far too much and I'm dreading checking my bank balance. For once though I don't care – I'm in a bubble of happiness and I don't want anything to spoil it.

Before I take a week off I have to cram in several meetings. I reluctantly have to tell Daniel that I won't have time to see him before we leave for L.A. He says he understands, but I know from his tone that he doesn't really get it because he's never had a normal full time job.

It is Thursday and I'm already in holiday mode. Just one more meeting I tell myself as I smooth down my dress and pick up the papers ready to go in. I see the potential clients arrive and I'm pleased that Helen will be the one running the meeting and I can just sit there daydreaming ... I mean, be there for support.

The meeting although lengthier than planned is a success and one of the rather handsome directors suggests that we should all go out tomorrow to celebrate. It's clear that the invitation is directed at me. I would say he is mid-thirties and I'm already aware that he is worth a fortune. I couldn't help but notice that even though Helen has been the one conducting the meeting, he hasn't really taken his eyes off me. I smile politely, flattered because he's gorgeous, but I am not remotely interested when I think of what is in store this weekend. Helen shoots me a warning look and I know that I will need to tread carefully. I manage to explain rather nicely that I'm out of town, but maybe we could all meet up soon. This seems to appease him and Helen looks relieved that I haven't upset our brand new client.

By Friday evening I have packed, unpacked and repacked several times and I'm driving myself crazy. I'm just so nervous and excited I don't know what to do with myself. I have packed my new lingerie and looking at it I'm so glad I let Sarah talk me into buying it. Just in case I think and I bite my lip while my imagination runs wild. My thoughts are interrupted when my phone beeps and there is a picture message from Sarah.

You pair better get a room while you're in L.A.! X

I frown confused, so I click on the picture to see what she is going on about. There is an up-close shot of me and Daniel kissing in the park on Tuesday night. I laugh out loud when I see it because we definitely look like we should get a room ... here's hoping.

I follow the link and the headline reads 'Things hot up for movie star Daniel Weston and his mysterious partner as they are spotted in a steamy clinch'. Not wanting to ruin the moment, I don't look at the comments that have been left and instead fall asleep with a smile on my face.

- thank you so much for still reading! What do you think about the developments happening? Please vote and comment, you lovely lot! -